Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Storage
The Bureau of Reclamation is looking input on some of the water storage alternatives on the upper Henry's Fork and Island Park area.

http://www.localnews8.com/news/water-sup...index.html

Study and comment forms:

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/programs/studies/...index.html

Draft of final report

http://www.usbr.gov/pn/programs/studies/...raftv3.pdf
[signature]
Sounds like a great plan, but may be a 100 yrs to late to get water rights. The poor sturgeon don't stand a chance.
[signature]
binging up IP 4ft would flood the basement of my cabin via sump water.. interesting indoor swimming pool anyone??

Other concern i have is all of the waterfront properties and their septic systems brining the water table up 4ft would that impact them because dealing with the EPA because our systems are leaking sounds like a huge hassle
[signature]
I also wonder what that additional water going down the Box Canyon will do to the fishing there. Continual high water?
[signature]
Why would there be more water going through Box Canyon ? If they raise the water level for more storage . They could still let it out at the same rate and just maintain higher lake levels longer . I would hate to be a land owner on the lake and loose a lot of my Property . Some of them have nice ramps and docks . There ramps would be under water for a big part of the year . On the stretch of the lake from Mill Creek to McCrea Bride there are several cabins close to the water . It could cause flooding for them ?
[signature]
All the property needs to go make to the forest service so the wolves can stretch their legs. Lol. Look at the lake Lowell mess.
[signature]
The purpose of these different water storage alternatives is to deliver more water to area during the irrigation season.

This is from p78 the study:"
Evaluation of Alternatives
Draft Henrys Fork Basin Study Final Report
-
Version 2

February 2014
The additional storage would also affect flows downstream of the reservoir. Under median
conditions there would be a decrease in flows in the spring when excess flows would be
stored in the reservoir and an increase in flows in July as the stored water would be released.
In wet years, the full 26,700 acre-feet would be stored and delivered; hence, flows would
increase from June through September. In dry years, less water would be stored in the spring
and less would be delivered in the late summer.

In sometimes of the year additional water going down the river might be good, but there is no way that it is not going to have any effect on the river downstream. Cost wise this is probably the alternative they will go by.

They also say that " Flood routing studies also revealed that this increase in reservoir capacity would potentially affect two buildings adjacent to the reservoir."

Only two buildings??? As was mentioned the water table will also rise.

Every alternative is going to have some problems. For myself I like the greater storage capacity offered by the Lane Lake alternative, but it would be much more expensive to do. It also has impacts such as reduced flow in the Fall and Teton R. But much less impact on individual homes and fisheries....unless you are the guy that owns the farm it would cover!
[signature]
Build pipelines from Canada, aye.
[signature]
I should have read the study . I don't know what affect the higher flows will have on the fish . I don't fish the river , just the reservoir . The deeper the lake the harder it is to fish . Is there a time frame for when this might happen . Just wondering if it will be during my life time ?
[signature]
Curt, since this involves MANY different government agencies, this will NEVER happen! [laugh] Even if it ever gets remotely close to happening, someone will sue something and tie it up for another 10 or 20 years.
[signature]
I hope you are right . Plus there are a lot of million dollar cabins on the bank of the resivior . Those people are going to do what ever they can to stop this from happening .
[signature]