Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crooked lake N mi./Emmet county
Found the four inches of ice I expected was in reality 5-6 in places and 3-4 in others. I didn't venture far but did follow the tracks of another angler.

One hour of fishing brought 2 jumbo perch. I'm not complaining. Hitting the hard water is too cool.

I'm sure a lot of that ice will disappear this week. No big cool down until next week from what I've heard.
[signature]
throw in a sliced apple and that sounds like luch to me[cool] glad to hear you getting on. our lakes are iced over but we dont have any thing we can walk on yet.

I have been lookin for some safe ice myself.
[signature]
our lakes have thawed out again today , now it's going back to freesing temps again !
the flu has hit our area hard , so bad that if 3 more kids are called in sick tomorrow all schools will be closed for the rest of the week .
i'm seoursly concidering dumping ice cubes in the lake to speed things up .
[signature]
dont ya just hate when the lake teases you.. its like teasing your pup with a cookie...

here angler here some ice, woops no it isnt, hey hear it is, woops no it aint.... just like the hound we just hope and pray we will get a little..... "ICE" not a cookie, that mama's job...

its lookin like next week here too, we got that worm rain again today... all my pretty snow is gone, I am sure the ice is still on the lake under all the rain water. I just dont think there is enough to make a decent hole. and with the temps here staying above freezing 37 I think it is just going to soften up what ice we do have. the rest of the week dose look promising temp wize... we got a couple nites suspost to drop to the mid teens.
[signature]
I walked over to look at mine about an hour ago and mine was opened back up as well.

looks like it wont be untill after the first of the year now.
[signature]
lol ! got up this morning to an inch of snow and slick roads , drove into town and it was just a dusting .

if you look at a map of gladwin county n18 highway above gladwin city , see where it makes a sharp left ? from there north 4" of snow !!!

yep , fishingirl is out there right now clearing off the driveway , i hope she remembers i haven't had my dinner yet . lol !
[signature]
[size 2]Just got back from a refreshing but frigid trek out on Crooked. Whoa! There is plenty of ice as of today 4-6 or more. My dog wondered what my goal was with only a sled and an auger no rods etc. I had to explain to here that we only had a few minutes to spare before we picked young son up from B-Ball practice. I hope she understood that like in hunting it's not always the kill that's important.

Pike on our UP lake were voracious this past weekend. They must have scared the eyes away, but what a fight these dudes put up. All went back to their winter homes.

This weekend will see me back on crooked,with all the necessary arsenal.[/size] [size 2][/size] [size 2][/size] [size 2][/size] [ul] [li]I just edited it to get rid of that code thing[/li][/ul]
[signature]
i'm working and heading over to tip up town , talk about busy weekends !
sure ib nice getting back out on the ice finally!
[signature]
you telling me!!!

I walked out on commerce last night, found inconsistant ice, so I did not go out vary far. lots of moving water in my lake.

this weekend for sure now.. I will be on the ice.
[signature]
alll right dave ! i bet that bucket has been turtlewaxed a dosen times by now , lol !

the weatherman says we are getting 10" of snow , i think he musta got off at noon cause' it's still coming down . roof raking is planed for later tonight .

you and stormy going to get a couple buckets of gills ?
[signature]
I went out today for about the last half hour of day light. only one bite. I spent more time looking for a deep hole in a shallow lake.
[signature]
now on lake 4 , it's mostley deep except for the east side and the north shore . i've covered the deep areas with the fishfinders and very rareley marked fish other than a couple bottom feeders , a few surface skimmers (possible gills or pearch ) but nothing in between .

i turn up the sencitivity to it's max and locate the thermal line and no fish there either .

but the shallows and drop off areas are loaded with traviling fish .

now you hammer the fish going deep , i get ziltch ? got any ideas why ?
[signature]
there are certain species you will fish deap for, trout, pike, sisco's

the other thing is I fish deap water structures fish have a tendancy to hide behind them and can not be seen by radar. this is why you never mark them, I try also to mark them with the fish finder with out luck, but I still catch them there. insted of watching the fish finder I work the rod. seems to work a little better, the catches do come slow.
[signature]
i guess i'll add some weight to the tip up and get that chub closer to the bottom . i wanna get a big old monster pike the lake is known for .
[signature]
well how's the fishing progressing ?

and are you getting in on the ice fishing contest ?
[signature]
I'm in he contest, but wow, these cold temperature and front after front are wreaking havoc on my ability to catch 'em!

I was in Curtis this past weekend for the 2nd. annual Tourney. Great time, great people, finicky fish. After the contest, we fished in front of our place, and finely landed 3 pike all 20-22 "'s, and 2 undersized walleye.

Give me a 30 degree Saturday please!!!
[signature]
Hey callie

sub zero wind chills have kept us indoors as well here in NY. Maybe this friday I can get some ice time in.
[signature]
i know what you meen . were expecting between 10" to 16" of snow tonight and tomorow . when i poke the augre thru i feel like jed clampet , too bad it isn't oil ! first year you need hipwaders to ice fish , lol !
[signature]
Hey Chief, What's wrong with a little hypothermia from time to time. That was the reason they invented "Die in the Wool" Fishermen. I sure wish I had some ice out here. Not just ice packs for the hyperthermia.
[signature]