Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I live in Utah but fish the Bitterroot Valley at least a couple weekends each month in the summer. My wife and I will be moving there in 1 to 2 years. I have been reading posts for a while now and figured it was time to contribute. Looking forward to sharing with the community.
[signature]
I live in Utah but went to school in Missoula and fished just about everywhere on the Bitterroot, Clarks Fork, and Blackfoot rivers around the Missoula area. Private property was the big stopper in alot of places and I imagine that has even more so now days.

Changing conditions with the times of year are the key to success: When the water is in spring run-off and the water goes brown - the big Brown's will hit night crawlers bounced along the bottom. Then the water turns Green - its time for spinners & spoons; Then the water clears and they won't hit nothing but flies - royal wolfs as a indicator and smaller fly droppers were always good.

Be sure to watch the hatches and hit Rock Creek

Clark Fork during the winter is good around French Town - I remember using tiny green nymphs and hooking some brut's

Also check out the high mountain lake east of Hamilton - short hikes for fun action - saw my first and only wolverine on a hike into lake.

Good luck and welcome to God's country
[signature]
Thanks Lundman,

Looking forward to Skwalla here soon, then its off to the Blackfoot. I like throwing streamers there in the early season. I did a little hiking/fishing up bear creek last fall and we had a little run in with a wolf on the main trail.

What I have not yet done and have zero information on is ice fishing in that area. With all the snow and warmer temps I'm guessing its not to great now but what are some of the lakes people like to ice fish in the Bitterroot Area.
[signature]