Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alaska
Hey guys, I'm looking for a few steelhead fishermen to join me on an Alaskan Chinook salmon trip this coming June. This is a fly-in, unguided trip from Anchorage. The cost is minimal compared to most AK trips.

PM me if you can fish, and you're interested....
[signature]
Good luck on the Kings, been mighty slim-pickens up in AK around most of the state the past several years, and the forcast for this year ain't lookin' like its gonna be any better.
I think the Nushagak has been holding it's own pretty good, The Deshka also.
I will already be up there on the Kenai this June, but kinda curious about where you're heading to if ya don't mind saying.
[signature]
We fish a river in the Susitna drainage, and we had it pretty tough during 2008-11, but the last couple years have been real goood. Last year was like the early 2000's...lots of fish.
[signature]
Its a damn fun trip. Best time fishing I have ever had. I wont be making the trip this year but next year I will have enough pennies saved to go again. Let me know how it goes Huntsman.
[signature]
Both the Su and Little Su have not been meeting their escapement goals with Kings for a few years. I knew it was coming and today they announce restrictions on both
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index...&NRID=1913. I know I read the sockeye run was looking dismal on the Su as well not too long ago. With the Kenai outlook even more bleak my brother in law and I decided to hit the Southeast /POW island and not fly into Anchorage this year. I think a lot of folks are thinking the same as it was unusually hard to book everything for our do it yourself trip despite it still being February. Besides the Su, I did see the the sockeye forecast is generally a good one in that region. However as much as I love to eat sockeye it's mostly mouth snagging and not sportfishing to me. I always seem to manage a king or 2 up in POW island among the silvers anyway. Good luck if you do brave it.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Both the Su and Little Su have not been meeting their escapement goals with Kings for a few years. I knew it was coming and today they announce restrictions on both
[url "http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index.cfm?ADFG=region.NR&NRID=1913."]http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/...region.NR&NRID=1913.[/url] I know I read the sockeye run was looking dismal on the Su as well not too long ago. With the Kenai outlook even more bleak my brother in law and I decided to hit the Southeast /POW island and not fly into Anchorage this year. I think a lot of folks are thinking the same as it was unusually hard to book everything for our do it yourself trip despite it still being February. Besides the Su, I did see the the sockeye forecast is generally a good one in that region. However as much as I love to eat sockeye it's mostly mouth snagging and not sportfishing to me. I always seem to manage a king or 2 up in POW island among the silvers anyway. Good luck if you do brave it.[/quote]

+1 Can't go wrong with the early Snow Pass silvers on POW. Plenty of kings available in the channels for the taking. And if DIY you can still keep 2 halibut a day.
Better look for a different location [fishin]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[ul][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][li]Kenai River to close for early-run kings through July 1[/li][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/ul]
By BETH BRAGGand ZAZ HOLLANDER
anchorage DailyNewsFebruary 27, 2014 Updated 13 hours ago
2014-02-28T04:04:52Z
By BETH BRAGG and ZAZ HOLLANDER Anchorage_Daily_News

[ul][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][li][url "https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/index.cfm?ADFG=region.R2#storylink=relast"]LinkDept. of Fish and Game sportfish emergency orders[/url][/li][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/ul]
For the secondyear in a row, the Kenai River will be closed to king salmon fishing in May andJune because of expected weak returns -- the first time in half a century theriver has experienced back-to-back closures for early-run kings.
"The lasttime the king salmon season was closed for two consecutive years was1964-65," Robert Begich, a state biologist in Soldotna, said Thursday."And it hasn't been done preseason since 1965."
The Alaska Department of Fish and Gamealso issued a total of seven emergency orders Thursday alerting anglers topending restrictions that limit retention of kings on the Kasilof River, AnchorRiver, the Little Susitna River, and the Susitna River and its tributaries.
[signature]
"+1 Can't go wrong with the early Snow Pass silvers on POW."
Last year was a drought on that end of the island and fishing was subpar from what I hear from the folks in Whale Pass. The Klawock folks told me the Klawock River looked like the combat fishing of the Kenai as a result. Despite the warm weather up there so far this winter the area of drought in Alaska is very small and confined to the south central region only. I'm crossing my fingers nothing happens to screw up the silver run this year.
[signature]
Our River has had the same Emergency Order as ADFG had last year, which is that King harvest is limited to Fri-Mon.......which is GREAT!!!

We go up to Alaska to fish....not to "harvest" fish. As I tell all my clients, "If you want to fill your freezers with fish, then go to Albertsons, as it's cheaper. But if you want to fish, and have to opportunity to hook into fish that will, and it mean, whip your butt, come play on our River!!!

Good steelhead drift fishermen can hook, (maybe not land, as hooking, and landing are two different things), and do battle with over a dozen 12-60 lb, sea bright Chinook a day, you'd love my trip!!!!

When other Susitna a River tribes have struggled, we've had way more than our share of fish....!!!
[signature]
Just a quick note Donald....

We're not fishing the Kenai Peninsula, where anyone flying into Anchoage can rent a car, and drive to the Kenai, the Kasilof, the Ninilchik, Deep Cr, the Anchor River, or Moose Cr.......

Yes, if you can drive to the river, the run is extremely compromised, and chances are good that an Emergency Order may hamper your trip....

Not so on our River....

By the way, I'm down to three openings, but only if you are a decent steelhead drift-fisherman, or if you have the desire to become one.....
[signature]
Dude it's one thing to invite people to join you but when you refer to them as clients that is totally different. Only three openings left? People there are hundreds of no name rivers in AK that you can float yourself and have a ball. The moderators need to cut you off.

Rod
[signature]
[quote AverysAdventure]Dude it's one thing to invite people to join you but when you refer to them as clients that is totally different. Only three openings left? People there are hundreds of no name rivers in AK that you can float yourself and have a ball. [#ff0000]The moderators need to cut you off.
[/#ff0000]

Rod[/quote]

+ 1
[signature]
The guys are right, Huntsman. You should get in touch with Big Fish and talk to them about advertising. But you clearly can't solicit for profit trips on this site w/o paying for the advertising. I don't want to have you drop participating on this site, and am sure you weren't aware of the rules mentioned above. Mike, your moderator.
[signature]
Donald, great way to stir the "proverbial pot"....

I make absolutely "ZERO" profit on these trips, nor do I get any part of my trip, or "stay" at the camp for free. I pay my commercial airfare, my floatplane transport (including over-weight charges), and my camp fee, just as my "clients" do. Historically, I've secured my AK guide's license to combat these same accusations that are being levied against me right now.....Donny, go ahead and flail away !! For some reason, those whom have trouble catching steelhead and salmon, will stoop at nothing in order to make themselves look good.....

I am not "advertising", for my gain in any way!! However, the "gain", that I do enjoy, is to watch those who have never learned to work a drift rod, nor mastered the level-wind reel, excel in those endeavors....that is my "compensation"!!

Donald, I really look forward to meeting you on the river bank sometime, whether in Idaho, or Alaska....maybe you try and net my fish!!
[signature]
Michael, As I stated above, I make NO profit,however, I'd be glad to "teach you a few technics" too....

Sheesh, some fishermen are SO jealous .......
[signature]
Ok so everyone is attacking huntsman......i got a question for ya'll how many kings have you landed over 40lbs???? Been on huntsmans trip and it was an absolute blast.... great host and fish harder than all of us for sure. The numbers suck???? Maybe its not the numbers of fish but the fishermen????? To say he is a guide is one thing..... everyone in camp considered him a friend who went above and beyond to get us on an amazing river. Huntsman I sure cant wait for the June trip and personally I don't wanna fish next to these whiners anyways.
[signature]
The trip is great and world class. I have met some life long friends that share the same passion for fishing as i do...Including huntsman... The guy was extending an invitation for a once in a lifetime trip... If you do not have anything important to say...or are not interested then don't post. Lots of haters for such an invitation.
[signature]
Did Huntsman not state in his initial thread, "PM me if you can fish, and you're interested?"

Avery Adventures, it seems that you, and DonaldC are tucked in bed together. Might that be the case?

I too have been on an Alaskan trip hosted by Huntsman. My Father, son and I had a marvelous time. Even though Darren was not our "guide", he made sure that we grew comfortable with not only the equipment we had brought with us, but how to use it, and then he coached us once we hooked a salmon.

IDsteelheader stated that the fish were scarce, but that wasn't the case on our trip, but maybe we didn't know any better. We all landed several King salmon, with my son landing the largest of the trip on our kart morning. Darren was determined to see that we were enjoying our time on the river. We cooked for ourselves, and when we showed up on the river, he always made a spot for us. All of the fishermen that were with him treated us like friends.

I'd go back on one of his unguided trips in a heartbeat!!
[signature]
Wow, thanks guys....

I don't need to compete with the "commercial" boys, because I'm not commercial. As I said before, my trip is "UNGUIDED", which means you're on your own.

If you can drift fish, or nymph with a fly rod, you can catch fish on "MY" river. If you need someone to "bait" your hook, feed you your lunch, or wipe your nose, then my trip is not for you. I am not a commercial operation, and thus I evidently threaten Avery's and Donald.

If you're interested for 2015, get in touch with me early, because I like to fish with other good fishermen.....
[signature]
Good Luck with the trip. Sounds like a great time.
[signature]