Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balloon Indicators Made Easy
Hi guys,

Using water balloons for a fly fishing indicator is nothing new. They are more sensitive than thingamabobbers, and easier to maintain than yarn or foam indicators. Traditionally the problems I have found with them is that they a) kink your line with the slipknot most people use to connect them b) are not easily moved to adjust the depth you are fishing at. Because of these two issues I stopped fishing with them shortly after I started, even though I loved how much more sensitive they are.

Recently I came across the New Zealand Indicator method where a section of plastic tubing is slipped on the leader, and then yarn is placed in the loop and cinched down.

The moment I saw the idea, I thought, "that's it!" the solution to my balloon indicator problems. I tracked down some 2mm plastic tubing right away (cut the tubing off of a butterfly needle setup from work). I dug out my stash of water balloons, cut up some 4mm sections of the tubing, and hit the water. I was surprised how well it works! I have been fishing with the setup for a few months now. I tracked down some 2mm plastic pvc tubing used for bracelets on ETSY and got about 6' for $6. It should last me forever!

I rig it up the same way you see the New Zealand approach, but instead of the yarn, I use a water balloon I blew up and tied. After cinching the balloon in I nip off the bottom part with my nippers. Also, I have noticed that wetting the bottom of the balloon with your mouth or the river allows it to slide into the plastic tubing more easily to begin with, but is not necessary because it will pull down anyway after a couple wet casts.

The only drawbacks with the balloons are a) they produce refuse that you have to clean up b) they are lighter weight so they are harder to cast in wind, but you can fish with a smaller size -compared to a thingamabobber- for the same reason c) they can cause your line to twist if you cinch the balloon on at a weird angle -for that just re-position the balloon and recinch-.

I still carry along my thingamabobbers, but so far the balloons have become my go to. Any thoughts or suggestions?
[signature]
I like that idea a whole lot better than the yarn! Bring me a sample to the IF Fly Tying Expo....[Wink]
[signature]
I can't find small balloons anymore
[signature]
Check PARTY STORES. Look for MINI Balloons. Just remember they are not Bio degradable. I hate seeing pieces of them laying along the rivers.
[signature]
Great idea. Do you have a picture of a balloon rigged up in the tube?

One thing that I like about it is that your balloon should be trapped in the tube so that if it is trashed, it is easy to clean up and replace. Less chance for it to end up floating down the river.
[signature]
Thanks Flygoddess.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]If you don't have a Party Store near you, the Hobby Lobby should also carry them. BTW the HL has some great stuff for fly tiers.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Unless leader breaks which is my luck. I have however, retrieved every Thingamabobber I have had come loose[Smile]
[signature]
I actually did a write up on the blog about it with some pictures if you are interested. Now that you mention it, I should probably try and get an up-close picture of the actual attachment area.

http://www.livingflylegacy.com/2014/02/t...lloon.html
[signature]
I don't know if it is the balloons I have or the tubing. I can't get the balloon material to go in the tube. If you are using 2mm tubing is it stretchy?
[signature]
I am interested as well. You can't get that knot from the balloon through the tubing, but it looks like just part of the balloon. The knot looks like it's sitting on top the tubing.
[signature]
The tubing I use is slightly stretchy. If you have medical grade tubing, it is more supple and forgiving. The bracelet making tubing I have is not quite as stretchy.

A couple things I have noticed: Water balloons have thinner latex, so they slide into the tubing more easily. The thicker, decorative balloons do not slide in as easily. For those, I do not tie the balloon into a tight ball, but rather tie it "loosely." Not sure that makes any sense though. If you tie the thicker balloons too tightley, the balloon pulls out of the tubing. The other thing I make sure to do is wet the balloon after it is tied, so it slides into the tubing more easily. If you would like, I can take some picks or do a quick little video to show you.

The thicker 5" decorative balloons I picked up off of ebay work, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to use them.
[signature]
The knot does not go into the tubing. Its the section of balloon just above the knot that slide in. The picture I have on the blog (to compare bouyancy) was not a good example of how it works. That "clear" balloon was an experiment for the floating aspect as well as whether or not I could get a more clear indicator to fish with for wary spring creek trout. I had to tie it pretty tight to make the balloon transparent, so I couldn't get it to slide into the balloon. Ya'll have helped me see I need to do an up close picture of the actually connection under the balloon.

On another note, I recently had the thought to use the glow liquid from inside a glow stick to place in a balloon before it is tied, for night indicator fishing. Those "glow" thingamabobbers are worthless. ha ha
[signature]
I think it is the lack of stretch in the tubing I have, plus my balloons may be some of the larger. I can get it in a little but it actually pops back out. I am going to look for some small surgical tubing. I would like it to stretch even if I used polypro material instead of a balloon. Anyone got any ideas on where to find some?

The glow sounds interesting. What about a small shot of glow paint inside of a clear balloon?
[signature]
Initally I cut the tubing out of a butterly needle setup. It worked great. When searching for tubing I actually found an online medical supplies provider that sold a pack of 50 butterfly setups that had a 12" section of tubing for around 25$. I didn't really want to suggest it on the internet because of the needles that you would have to dispose of. I'll see if I can find the link for you when I get home from work. Outside of that it seemed that most medical supplies providers wanted a lot of money for the tubing in bulk because it is not something that is commonly used. The stuff I got online from ETSY works just fine though, and it was relatively cheap. I think I payed 6$ for 6 foot. If you find yourself in Idaho Falls I wouldn't mind sharing some for you to try.
[signature]
What about fingers on surgical gloves for the balloon?
[signature]
I thought about that. I'll bet it would work well with latex gloves. We only have the nitrile where I work, and those are not very strong. I'll have to track down a pair and give it a try with the latex.
[signature]
Thanks. I think I will try to find some balloons with thinner walls. The latex glove idea might be worth a try. I only have nitrile.

I found this site with some surgical tubing. http://www.reefscuba.com/surgical_tubing.htm

Don't know if it is small and thin enough, but might be worth a try.
[signature]
Not sure that tubing will work. The stuff I have been using is a clear pvc tubing I believe, not latex. Though, that stuff may work, I haven't even tried it. I think for the balloon thing to work the tubing needs some rigidity to it.
I was thinking that the flexibility of the"surgical rubber" tubing would help, but maybe not. It might just roll down and slide back off. I can see I am going to have to look around a bit and do some experimenting.
[signature]