Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signs of the spawn
Some of you might know that I guide the Colorado River by kayak--so I spend a lot of time along the river and Willow Beach road, eyes and ears tuned into the fishing conditions along the water. Every Winter, the bighorn sheep head into the Mt. Wilson ridge line until the heat starts to kick up, and then mid March they start to become visible near the highway and in the desert just above Willow Beach--signs of Spring and sustaining warm weather--this is also just after all of the flowers, cacti, creosote and salt cedar have bloomed.

Well, this unusually warm Winter we've had has brought Spring in early. While driving the Willow Beach road back up to the highway this afternoon, my passengers and I saw a heard of 19 male bighorn dispersed in groups of 3 - 6 sheep rearing and butting horns. All of this happening around the ground that's covered in purple, white, and yellow flowers with desert fescue covering shady areas. Guests have also been reporting male and female sheep along the riverside. This is really unusual for this time of year.

LOVE IS IN THE AIR...and, I'll bet you a cold brew that love is also in the shallows. Under stumps, root systems, and overhanging tamarisk..on rock piles, and in tules...all along the shoreline of Lake Mohave. And come the next full moon, the small mouth spawn will DEFINITELY be in full swing. My casting elbow is actin' up...time to start tuning the rods and reels in, cleaning up the boxes, replacing hooks, and stocking up--the smallmouth spawn just might be here early this year.

(Last year's spawn was peaking from March 13-17)
[signature]
Wooohooooo!!!!!! Time for some green and brown fish...
I love it!!! lets go get em boys!!!
[signature]
This pleases me to no end. Road trip in my immediate future? I think so! Thanks for the report.
[signature]