Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small boat motor setup?
I have a small 14 foot aluminum boat. I plan on taking it fishing quite a bit this summer and i was wondering what would be the best hp on a gas motor for my situation. I want to be able to get to a spot and not feel like im going at a snails speed and ill probably do a little trolling with it as well. it also has to be decently lightweight because i plan on taking it off the boat often. i was thinking a 10 hp would work best but i just wanted to get some opinions before i decide. Thanks
[signature]
Id go with a 10-15 but Im sure that boat would handle a 20-25 no problem, then you could really get there in a hurry...although a little more weight to deal with..

good luck
[signature]
The simplest thing is to check the factory info plate. It should be riveted to the transom somewhere and it'll give you the maximum horsepower that boat is rated for as well as the serial number, max gross weight, etc.
[signature]
having run 14' boats for years, I'd say you're best going with a 15hp if you can find one in good condition. An unreliable 15 is much worse than a reliable 7.5!

The most inexpensive and lightest 15hp outboards out there are going to be the gamefisher motors. Definetly not the nicest brand but if you can find a late 90s one it will push that boat as fast as you want to be going in a 14' boat (like 20+mph) and be light enough it won't tear your arm off every time you remove it.

Keep an eye on KSL classifieds, you should be able to find a good 10-15hp for under a grand. Make sure it pees strong, starts easily and the lower unit oil isn't milky.
[signature]
[#000000][font "Times New Roman"][size 3]The first thing you have to keep in mind is to not exceed the US Coast Guard horsepower rating for your boat, and there should be a US Coast Guard label on the transom. If you exceed the horsepower you can be fined at the water where you will launch.

I would go with the highest HP that your boat is rated for. Sure, it may be heavier when you have to take it off, but there may be times when the winds kick up and you need to get into a hurry. As long as you play it smart and safe, you can have yourself as good a fishing experience with a small alumimum as in any fishing boat.

There is this company, Lehr, that has built small HP outboards that are powered by propane, if that interests you. They have up to 15 HP. If I were you, I wouldn't buy a used outboard. Really, the difference in price isn't going to kill anyone. I would get an Evinrude E-Tec up to 15 HP. These are 2-strokes, but nothing like the older 2 strokes. They give a 3-year warranty plus there is no break-in or maintance for about 3 years.[fishin]
[/size][/font][/#000000]
[signature]
We had a brand new Alumicraft 14 footer with a 25 Merc Four. It was fantastic.
We now have a an older Gregor 14 foot Aluminum with an older Honda 9. The Mechanic said without one little screw it is a 15hp. Either are fine on a 14' boat to me.
[signature]
If the boat was built before 1972 it probably won't have a Coast Gaurd capacity plate stating weight and HP capacity . Looking at the transome I think a 15 HP would be your best bet . 10 and 15 hp weigh about the same. A 25 will weigh about double that is if you stay with newer models . The older the motor is the more it will weigh .
[signature]