Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mussel Certification
Got a smartphone or iPad?
Put a pdf on your device.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
Quote:Because they don't think they can and the kayak dudes are pretty stoned.

Really?

The root of my statement comes back to more than just mussels. Operating a power boat (16ft or greater with a 10hp or greater engine) is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Etiquette, safety, environmental hazards and other issues arise when operating vessels of that size or greater. I think it is safe to say that the above hazards would be far greater than those of a PWC.

Recreating from PWCs should offer some leeway--and they do. No registration, low maintenance and easy to transport. Tell me, do I really need a license in order to operate a float tube?

That being said, I do believe PWCs can pose a significant risk to our waters. I believe the online education in regards to mussels is perfect. It really boils down to the willingness of the resource user to be a good steward.
[signature]
Lures too! I knew it, but had not thought about it much. Muddy boots or an oar or anchor. Education is the answer, make folks accountable. Any thing that floats needs a cert. scuba?
[signature]
Wow, and here I thought mentioning evolution would be the thing to cause a ruckus. I've been checked, and inspected a half dozen times, for general safety and for mussels.

I prefer Utah's approach to that of Idaho There you just pay a fee, get a sticker, and you're on your way. Doesn't mean you've been educated, just pick-pocketed. And it's per vehicle. Educate the boater, and the lessons will apply to any craft they launch, IMHO.

Curt - I know it's been posted before, and that it's a sticky, but 1000 views in a day tells me there's some interest. Maybe it was the bass mimicry video that did it (no comment, I thought that was totally cool!) Different mussels, but seeing how easily those young clamp onto gills, makes one think, no? Plus - how many visitors hit the boat page?

I think some of the questions demonstrate the need for education. No diss intended. We all gotta learn. It's not just live wells, but ropes, anchors, wet life jackets (you DO have life jackets right people?)
Bob - I know you jest. You can ice fish as LONG as you want bud, but can your gear get wet? There's a range of drying times specified for different times of year.

There was a scare at Bear Lake - a year ago? But they were deemed dead mussels on the guys prop. Good thing.

I actually had the most thorough inspection at Newton once, descended from the hill when I arrived to give me the thrice over. Bail bucket and all, I actually got a cheklist completed to keep on hand for next time. THEN he left me after we conferred on the latest catching stories, and checked a jet-skiier who'd just arrived. Then shortly departed, as he passed by he says, "I did you a favor". Not sure - no life jacket? Had the lake to myself (well, me and a 100 perch and half dozen Musky - that was a good day).

As said - it's not about skipping past an inspection, it's about knowing how to prevent the spread. Being aware - if you've launched an infected water, due the diligence, and clean up your act. Be prepared if there's a cleaning station, expect the time. Don't think you can just drive around the lake to a different launch (Tahoe).

So which is worse, mussels or Asian carp?
Never have seen a float tube at a check station and a 12 year old going 60 on a pwc could careless about mussels.
[signature]
[quote dtayboyz]Because they don't think they can and the kayak dudes are pretty stoned. People need to be educated and licensed regardless of the size of the craft.[/quote]

Pretty sure the majority KNOW they can. Size of boat is not an issue, never has and never will be. Invasive species don't discriminate.
I know a couple people with 24' boats that try to sneak by so not the size that counts in this case[Wink]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=altizerbd"]altizerbd[/url]
"Recreating from PWCs should offer some leeway--and they do. No registration, low maintenance and easy to transport. Tell me, do I really need a license in order to operate a float tube?"

License a tube...no, unless you put a motor on it. It is has seams, or any kind of texture like cloth, it can transport. Anything short of a glass smooth surface that you can wash clean can transport. Shoe laces, lures/flies.
But so can a good wind, birds, etc. But we being the intelligent species must use common sense where we can. Not directed at anyone in particular[Smile]
[signature]
While we're talking boat launches, and etiquette....I was pretty impressed and amazed at Benson marina to find a big pickup truck had backed down the ramp, launched one of his two PWCs - as in Jet Ski, and was busily buzzing around cutting donuts at high speed just off the launch (within 150 ft of shore) and far beyond.

I guess when you OWN the water - it's ok to just park your rig ON the launch ramp while commencing your wreckreation. Everyone else be damned. Now where's the DWR guy or a cop when you need one? Tempted to lift the park brake, and see how quick the coot could get back to the launch.

The level of arrogance and ignorance of some water users never ceases to amaze and impress.

There's a reason they call them Courtesy Docks!

To the dock "users" too- was on approach to park at the dock so I could retrieve my ride and offload, when a lady and her toddler decide to set down - RIGHT where I was coming into. Baby would have been a double amputee had I not chosen another option. But really? Kids swimming on and around docks too - where the powersquad is firing up and blasting off, um - THEY can't see you kids!

Oh the Darwin awards waiting to be handed out.

[inline "Boat Launch.jpg"]

Give him credit - he's not ON the boat dock!
Kayak dudes are stoned? That's news to me.
[signature]
I was inspected and questioned at Jordanelle last year. I have also seen many tubers and pontoon era get questioned. I seen a group of pontoon ears get ticketed at Lost Creek for not displaying their contamination certificate in their launch vehicle.

The reason you probably haven't seen any at inspection stations is because we can launch at areas other than the boat dock. It doesn't mean that there isn't any enforcement regarding these vessels.
[signature]
I have to agree. I launched my toon at starvation at bunny gulch. The guy came around and checked vehicles. The guys that left boat trailers there were getting his attention for they had not filled out the proper paperwork. I a least had mine. So they do check remote areas too.
[signature]