Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Beginner paddle?
Hey guys, just picked up a Scadden World Navigator kayak and I'm thinking I might want to ditch the oars and pick up some cheap kayak paddles from cabelas. Any suggestions?

I can feel an ergonomic difference between a $100 paddle and a $30 one but is there much of a performance difference?
[signature]
Don't be in such a hurry to ditch the oars until you try them a couple of times. Keep an open mind.
[signature]
I agree, try the oars first. Plus you can let go and fish without having to secure them.
That boat is awesome! Need an Outlaw day on some lake!
[signature]
I'll give them a try, i just think I'd rather be facing forwards kayak style when I'm moving from place to place on stillwater which is the only time I'd be using the oars anyway.

I've seen the video of Dave using the Navigator on the Green and he shows clips using both, the paddles seem much more responsive especially as I'm more used to that style of propulsion.
[signature]
Actually what I'd really like are the oars he shows in that video would be ideal, something that I could use as oars, combine into a kayak paddle and then turn into a SUP paddle!

On his website he lists them for $500 though...that's as much as the toon cost me! Any idea what they actually retail for?
[signature]
They are not cheap. They are super versatile and light weight. I do have a pair I bought for my Renegade, But sold that. They are a little long for the Assault (overlap in the middle). I am waiting for the Fuzion before I cut them down.
I might have a Kayak paddle still in the garage, I will look. Hubby bought it back with his Escalade which was the pre Navigator back in 2000. If I do, you are welcome to it.
I don't mind the Aluminum oars though.
[signature]
I used a basic kayak paddle from Sportsmans that cost $30-40. Just be sure and measure carefully, as most kayak paddles are too short for the Navigator.

Maybe inflate Navigator on grass and use PVC pipe to come up with best length for you and your 'toon.

There is the Carlisle Taboo Stand Up 2-Piece Adjustable Kayak Paddle that works for both kayak and SUP. Around $60 on Amazon.
[signature]
Thank you for the offer!

I'll give the oars a try first though and see if it's as big a deal as I'm imagining.

Kanderson, thanks for the heads up on that kayak/SUP paddle, I'd be very interested in something like that...
[signature]
I did spot the Kayak paddle up in the Garage rafters, so before you buy anything, try this, okay?
[signature]