Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antelope in Idaho
I'm originally from Wyoming and grew up hunting pronghorn. I know there is a controlled hunt here in Idaho but I have no idea where to go. I've not seen many here. Anyone have experience with it and a good area to apply for? The deadline has passed for Wyoming.
[signature]
Well, that would depend on a lot of things.

Where do you live and how far are you willing to drive?

What weapon are you wanting to hunt with? Archery, muzzleloader or rifle?

When can you hunt?

If you can answer these questions, someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction.
[signature]
Great questions. I wasn't aware the seasons were different for rifle/muzzleloader. I will be using a rifle. I am willing to travel up to 250 miles away from Idaho Falls in any direction. I can go whenever the seasons are. I've just never hunted anything other than deer in Idaho.

Thanks.
[signature]
Well I guess you could probably put in for any of them.

I grew up in 40, so that's where I apply. I don't ever draw, but I'd like to.

Figure the draw odds for all the rifle hunts. Then look at success rates. Then look at distance.

I could point you towards some antelope in unit 40, if you draw here. I honestly can't reccomend anywhere else as I have no antelope experience outside of unit 40.

Put in for the hunt you would like to draw, and then ask for help when you draw.
[signature]
[quote costanza.1980]Great questions. I wasn't aware the seasons were different for rifle/muzzleloader. I will be using a rifle. I am willing to travel up to 250 miles away from Idaho Falls in any direction. I can go whenever the seasons are. I've just never hunted anything other than deer in Idaho.

Thanks.[/quote]

I've been applying for antelope rifle hunts for over 10 years. I've drawn a tag exactly zeros times.......

If you are willing to drive 250 miles, why not go back to Wyoming for a hunt. I know several people who've done it as non-residents and they've had good success and I didn't get the impression it is all that costly. From what I understand, the fuel and lodging is the most expesive. From IF to Wyoming isn't far, you probably know people...... Makes sense to me, anyway.
H & H he said he missed the dead line to apply for Wyoming . It is a lot easier to draw a muzzle loader tag than it is a rifle tag . Just something to think about . Unit 60 is one of the easyest units to draw in for a rifle hunt . 59 has some very big bucks , but is amost imposable to draw in . On the fish and game web site it gives the odds for drawing a tag for every unit for last year .
[signature]
Yeah, I want to go hunt in Wyo but the deadline was 3/15 for non-res. it is actually quite expensive ($286 plus $15 for app fee) unless I just go for a doe/fawn). Thought I'd see about ID but I may skip.
[signature]
My bad, Curt. I guess I missed that part.

I thought Wyoming you could just purchase over the counter, but I guess I was wrong there, too.

I personally haven't had any success drawing for Lope. If you decide to put in, I wish you luck.
It only costs $6.25 to try and draw .
[signature]
There are plenty of antelope in Idaho, I "know" antelope, my favorite animal too hunt either with a bow or rifle, but I pretty much only hunt with a Bow, most of the units in the big game regulations will have antelope in them, look for water and places away from people, antelope for the most part here in Idaho do not like too any where near people or main roads..... I am an antelope junky[cool], here are a few pictures of the size too expect, I have never shot a doe and i'm 10 for 12 here in Idaho all with my bow, so if you draw a tag, let me know, I can point you in some directions depending on what unit you draw,
Matt

[Image: 100_1896.jpg]

[Image: 100_2171.jpg]

[Image: 100_0102.jpg]

[Image: 100_0562.jpg]

[Image: 100_1320.jpg]

these are just a couple, don't have all the pics in photobucket
[signature]
Nice goats!!!! Curious if your setting up a blind on water sources or spot and stock. I've always used a muzzle loader.
[signature]
asking for antelope help from someone that lived in wyoming is akin to someone that lives in riggins asking for good steelhead holes in downtown boise.

and for the record shooting antelope over water holes is about as sporting as shooting deer over a timed corn feeder. effective and legal in some places, but nothing to gloat over imho...
[signature]
I should not reply too your comments but I will, hope you don't use a rifle or any other powder powered device because that is in the same category as shooting deer over a feeder...[shocked] and for the record some of those were shot over water some were spot n stalk and some were decoyed and some ambushed... And all were taken with a bow, went 9 years straight with getting a buck, my wife also scored twice with her bow on antelope. I'm about sick of random people posting that they are the sportsmanship patrol.
Matt
[signature]
Congratulations Matt that is very impressive . Those are some very nice Antelope . Any animal taken with a bow is a trophy .
[signature]
You would be better off with a leftover tag in Wyo than some of the hard to draw tags in Idaho. Look into unit 54 for your area.
[signature]