Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddle Cove Revisited 12/17/03
ARGH!! I NEED A FLIPPIN' BOAT!!!!!!!

Set out this morning to give Saddle Cove another opportunity to redeem its self. However, the day started out slow and got even slower as the morning dragged on. The point where Southernman and had fished a few weeks ago was occupied, so I set up more into the cove. I had been sitting there for about an hour bite less. A boat had moved in close to the NO BOAT buoys and anchored (SM, you should remember them). Within about 45 min. they had hooked 5 Stripers landing only 3, one they said was about 8lbs. It appeared they were bottom fishing with shad or cut anchovies. With all the chum they were throwing in I figured I should get into something. The fish just refused to come into the cove.

SIDE NOTE: The water level seems to have dropped at least a foot to foot and half in the last few weeks.
[signature]
yah we need something, sorry you had no luck man . .. maybe just one of these small inflatables to just get into the middle of the coves and plug and chug around . . .

sm
[signature]
Yeah, I thought about getting an inflatable. But, right now I have a line on an 8" fiberglass boat. Something I can throw in the back of my truck. I can get a 30 lb, 30" Motor Guide or Minn-Kota for less than $100. I think that should be enough to putter around the lake. The only hang up now is where to launch it from. Since it won't be a trailered boat I wonder if I can launch it anywhere.
[signature]
I dont know, i just assumed you could put in anywheres possible . . . you aint gonna get too far with an electric, so might as well put in right where ya gonna fish . . .

sm
[signature]
The problem I see with putting it in where I fish is, typically I have too walk forever and a day to get to water. Maybe I could find a 10 HP gas engine. If it doesn't work out on Lake Mead, it can always be used up North and in Utah. I have 2yrs 2 mo before I get my pontoon.
[signature]
theres alot of lakes in utah you can use a gas engine, and if you're going after bass and warm water fish thats prob a good bet . . .but if youre going to get into the mountains, theres a lot of lakes you can have a boat and electic only, alot you can only have the boat and oars, and some you cant have any boat or tube at all . .

sm
[signature]
Yeah, the same for some Nevada lakes and ponds.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I am sorry to hear about to misfortunes. I have been so busy at work that I cannot get out and go fishing. I am looking into buying a small inflatable boat. I went to SeaEagle.com and checked out their inflatable boats. I asked for a catalog and just recieved it today. In the brochure they sent me I received some material that the boat is made out of. I am looking into purchasing the Sea Eagle 8 or the Sea Eagle 9 motor mount boat. I’m really impressed with the construction of the boats. Even though the material of the boat is not puncture proof I did find it very difficult for a hook to actually puncture the material. SM told me about these low cost boats. A smaller one goes for $299.00 any other one goes for $349.00. This just comes with the bare assentials so you need to upgrade to add floors and a moter. I found on the internet that they are even cheaper right now in December. Each boat is capable of handling a small three or four horsepower motor. Plus they arr. rated at 950lb. to 1,200lb. Capacity this should handle this big boy. While got to go see days later. [/size][/font]
[signature]
A few months back I checked out Sea Eagle. Very interested in the 9' but I'll have to wait until March maybe April before I could think about buying one. Unless Santa is very, very good to me.
[signature]
[cool]Hey n2fishagain, could I carry my floattube to this cove and how far is it to the bouys? Thanks.
[signature]
Hey BigE,

One buoy is fairly close to the shore and the other is closer to the middle of the cove. If you take the Saddle Cove turnoff, stay to the left all the way down to the water. The road is a little bumpy but drivable in a car. You shouldn't have any problems. There are a few other roads that fork off and go to the water, but this is the only I've been on so far.

If this spot works for you, do I get a 20% finders fee?

Hope this helps.
[signature]
20% - is that the head and tail ?

hahahhaha

y'all have fun im heading to illinois!

sm
[signature]
I didn't think of that (heads and tails), should have thought it through a little better before I posted that.

Have fun in I[size 1]llinois, and don't forget your jacketssssss.[/size]
[signature]
[cool]How about a couple of filets instead? hahahaha.
[signature]
Southernman,
Your conversation about inflatable boats is very interesting. I own a 1985, eight foot Achilles inflatable craft with a 7.5 HP Honda four stroke engine. It is a really neat little boat. It has seen service in Lake Mead many times,as well as Bear Lake Utah, Black Canyon, Willow Beach,Lake Powell,the Northern Califofnia Delta,Pacific Ocean, several California lakes, etc. As you can see, it is very portable. It can be launched just about anywhere. My fishing partner, Don, used it for albalone fishing last season at Fort Ross. He told me he was excited with the fact that four abalone divers could work out of it at a time. I bought it several years ago at a garage sale for $150.00, invested another $100.00 in new valves, and put out $400.00 for the engine. These boats are extremely stable and seaworthy. I would not be afraid to take it anywhere in Lake Mead. The engine will make the craft plane at a pretty good speed... Probably about 8 to 10 miles per hour. It is a "Get Wet" boat. However, for putting around the coves of Las Vegas Bay, it is a lot of fun. Mostly now it just sits in Don's garage waiting for its next excursion. I have kind of lost interest in it in the last couple of years because I have the Bay Sport. I do not intend to sell it because it is not worth a lot of money and every once in a while I find a use for it. If you are seriously interested in purchasing an inflatable, perhaps you should take this one out and see how you like the experience. I can tell you right now, fishing out of a small inflatable, is like bringing a knife to a gunfight. They are small, don't hold a lot of gear, and it is hard to stay dry. However, there is the joy of being out on the water in any kind of boat and having a $20,000.00 boat is not a prerequisite of catching big fish. Send me a private message if you want to use it sometime.

Bay Sport
[signature]