Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omega Flip Fins
Ok, I broke down and bought a pair of these. They look to be solid and well made.

But what gives with the latch mechanism to flip the fins up? It took all my strength to push the latch, and they took a big chunk of skin out of my thumb. Is there a trick to doing it?
[signature]
I use the heel of my other foot. That IS where actual fishing boots are nice instead of Aqua Sox. Then out on the water, I put foot/fin straight down in the water. Moving foot forward pushed the blade back out. Then a kick motion under water locks it in.
Trust me, you want them that tight. You do have to adjust your walk to walk in them.
[signature]
post up a review once you get to use them!
[signature]
Thanks, FG. I guess I need to field test them then. I really didn't want to wear my boots as they are heavy but...

fish_or_die: If the darn snow ever melts here I'd love to try 'em out and review them. I had a trip planned up north for late april but need to postpone it as they will still have ice on the lakes.

Just chompin' at the bit to get out.
[signature]
Bought a pair also recently, but haven't yet field tested them. He! He! maybe in the backyard pool.

I knew about the trick with the heel of the wading boot to release the fin, but my size 14 wading boot don't fit completly inside the fin, so will have to wear the booties over my waders. Guess I may have to carry with me in the float-tube my Orvis folding walking stick for wading across rivers, to put enough pressure on the release clip.
[signature]
My hubby and brother in law wear #13. They use Simms Flats Booties for this reason.
[signature]
My wife and I both use and really like them . To be honest since we are toon fishers, we just carry them out with the toon in the water , sit down and put them on. The whole flip catch is (to me) more hassle than it's worth. As I get older my bad balance and twisted spine gang up on me. Not to hijack this thread but I live in SW Wyoming(Guild Rez.). Is there anywhere in NE Utah to fish for crappie? Love fishing the gorge for smallies, and pelican for Large mouth and bluegill.
[signature]
Welcome to the site. I agree that using the flip up is not used much but the fact that you can makes them worth gold. Standing up in a river to sight cast they are great. For me, my Fuzion has a long deck and a skeg on the bottom so I can only come in so close to shore. The flip up has come in handy a couple times.

Sorry I can't help on the Crappie, but TD has some suggestions I am sure.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Welcome aboard.

Good crappie fishing in Pineview Reservoir and in Willard Bay Reservoir...both near Ogden. The fish in Willard get bigger...these days...but the current big year class in Pineview are running between 8-10 inches and will be a couple of inches bigger by next year.

There are also good numbers of wipers and walleyes in Willard but it can be fickle for non-boaters.

Let me know if you need more info. I have maps, etc. that I have put together.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Many thanks, I've been wanting to try Willard bay. I'm a dredger will that help or hurt? Have fished for (and caught) walleye with flies in northern Wy.. The others sound like fun. Thanks again. Sliverflinger
[signature]
[#0000FF]In former times I fished a flyrod a lot more than I do now. I have had multi-species days at Willard...all caught on flies. The key is learning the habits and habitat and then presenting the right fly the right way.

Flygoddess will be able to provide good suggestions on lines, flies and presentation. I have watched her work her magic on the fishies in that lake from her pontoon. See the attached pic of a nice crappie she caught inside the north marina.

Water levels are currently very low on most of our lakes...including Willard. But they were also low last spring and we had a great year on crappies...and all the other species too.

Let us know when you get the urge and we can provide up-to-the-minute info and suggestions. There will be some crappie action this fall but not nearly as good as May and June.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Again thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread.It appears that with prior commitments, Dr. visits,and Elk season coming , our dance card is pretty full. If we winter well we'll get in touch with you guys in the spring. Flygoddess do you guide in either of these areas?
[signature]
[#0000FF]The goddess lady DOES guide on trout streams and stillwater. But she does not fish the warmwater lakes as much.

I do not guide but I can definitely make sure you are properly introduced to any of our crappie ponds. And I'd be happy to accompany you when you are able to make it over.

Hope you winter well.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
What TD said. I have taken clients out on Strawberry though. Plus Rivers.
[signature]