Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Launch 3-24-14
Hey rabble rowser or ....Tube dude. I'm a shore fisherman an had my fair share of fly byes from boats.They really don't seem(some guys) to take notice. Uhh maybe he's waving me off on my fishing expedition! The waving doesn't need detail. Right? Anyway. I've tried targeting walleye from the UT lake with no results. I've only tried the harbors like lindon, provo. I've tried curly tails and bait rigs. Is it possible to get a walleye from shore at this prespawn time? Ive been told to jig arownd the rocks in the harbors but I've only caught bullheads on bait with the couple of small channel cats this time of year off worms. Lost a lot of curly tails but that was expected. Also don't pay any attention to ignorance[:|]. Its just human nature
[signature]
[#0000FF]As the old TV ad used to say..."Thanks fer yer support." I said my piece and then let it go. I don't believe in challenging an unarmed person to a battle of wits.

While there are many responsible and courteous boaters in Utah, there are too many that think they have the right to ignore or deliberately harass everybody else on the lake whether they be fishing or just hanging out and trying to enjoy some peace and quiet. By the way, I usually wave back at them...but I may not use all the fingers on my waving hand.

In reality, it is POSSIBLE to catch walleyes from shore almost anywhere around the lake...at any given time. In reality, it takes a combination of good timing and good luck...and sometimes even skill. The fish move around to find food and comfortable temperatures. But they usually do not feed actively all day. They are efficient predators and they "eat big"...usually good sized white bass, perch, bluegill or crappies. Even small carp and bullheads. So a feeding time for them might only be 5 minutes every couple of days...or less during colder water times when their metabolism slows.

I can assure you that plenty of walleyes are taken by bank tanglers throughout the year. But the guys who regularly succeed are not the kind that visit public forums and publish reports and pictures.

In my younger years, I spent lotsa hours...both during the day and after dark...wading or tromping the bank and casting jigs for hours. But I had a "route" that began at American Fork and included stops at several different spots around the lake. I would spend a reasonable amount of time at each spot, trying to determine if the fish were there or if conditions were right for them to come in. But I was ready to move as soon as I decided it was fruitless to keep casting. Sometimes the fish come in right after you leave and sometimes it is days between the good times.

I can offer than most of the walleyes I caught around the harbors this time of year were from the rocks on the outside edges of the dikes. After the fish spawn a few of them will come inside the harbors to hunt food but you will usually do better on the outside. And rocks are magnets for walleyes.

Right now, fish in prespawn mode don't seem to be coming into shallower water. Anglers in boats are getting a lot of them out in 8 feet of water...or deeper. But there are more than a few males and females that are feeling the spawn urges and they do hang out closer...both daytime and after dark.

There is no magic formula and no pills or shots you can take. You just have to put in the time to learn where and when you have the best shot...and then keep taking it as often as you can. Anybody who claims to be able to catch walleyes on every trip will lie about other things too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thank you sir for the insite on the walleye. Vedy intresting. It makes sense with the big teeth they've got they'd be more likely to take down large prey an chill for a bit to digest it. Unlike trout that feed regularly on small bugs an so forth. I wonder if that's why they call pike an muskies the fish of a thousand cast? They have the jaws to get a belly full real quick. So it makes sense that they would gorge on some fish an then not feed for a extended period.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Definitely the case with many large predators. If they feed on big food items it does not take long to fill their tummies. Then, depending on water temp and their metabolism, it may take a day or two...or more...for them to digest the meal enough to become hungry again.

That translates to having to have good timing...or luck...to be casting just the right bait or lure at the time the larger fish are in the vicinity and in a feeding mode. Their feeding cycle might be for only a few minutes every other day...or longer...and it may be at night rather than daylight hours. If you ain't in the right place at the right time it will take you more than a thousand casts to catch a biggun.

After all that, how do we explain a big fish with a full gut hitting a small lure we are fishing for some other species? Happens a lot. Flossing after a big meal?

Then there is also the phenomenon of the "reaction bite"...having an otherwise neutral of negative mode fish smack some wild and crazy lure you put in it's face. That also happens with enough frequency that some anglers rely on it...rather than trying to time their fishing to active feeding time. And it is always worth a try...on slow days...to start throwing big, active, colorful lures...and to rip them rather than slow rolling. Whether it is out of instinct, territoriality or competitiveness some fish just can't let a big noisy lure run through their living room unmolested.

It is all speculation and guesswork. But it is a good idea to carry lots of different stuff on any given trip. If you find active fish that readily hit the expected offerings, you are golden. If you suspect the fish are there but not cooperating, then wake them up with something that gets them excited or makes them mad enough to chomp.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TD you are one cool man,I have lost battles of wit with unarmed opponents, so now I let them slide knowing I actually won.Keep on tubing[cool]
[signature]
Hahaha!! TD gave me the same advice a few years back...seems there are more people out there "unarmed" than not! Thanks TD, I still joke with my family about that!
[signature]
[quote cutter4]TD you are one cool man,I have lost battles of wit with unarmed opponents, so now I let them slide knowing I actually won.Keep on tubing[cool][/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks. Glad you appreciate it. Actually, using the other person's force against them is a proven tactic in some martial arts training. It is amazing how easy it is to let someone keep yammering on and on...so that ultimately even they realize how ridiculous their statements are.

I call that "maintaining my ascendency". Let them think they are winning while they are defeating themselves. But even if they turn out to be right...or partly right...you have not lost anything.

It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
You are the Master
[signature]
Hi TubeDude,

Did you catch that walleye on a jig or something else? Enjoy your dinner. Hope it was delicious!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Got three nice dinners from that phattie. Yum.

Caught it on a "wobble jingle jig"...a 1/16 oz. wobble head jig with a small blade and bead added with a piece of wire. (see pics below) I used my fave color, RC Killer (red and chartreuse) plastic tube...1 1/2"...and about 1/3 of a crawler trailing off the end. I catch a lot of fish on that rig.

Right now plastics work better than most other lures but they will hit crankbaits and spinners too. Only problem is that where you find walleyes you usually find rocks...and it gets spendy throwing costly crank baits. I use 3" to 5" plastics but I fish them on light heads...1/16 to 1/8 oz. That lets you fish them slow without having to fight rocks more than fish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Do trout like your RC killers? I may have to buy a few off you before I head to Panguitch Lake.
[signature]
No they don't....they LOVE them!!!! Especially the hothead rcs.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You betcha them troutskis like the RC Killers. Got lotsa pictures with those little gems hanging out of the mouths of fishies...of many species. Here's some pics of rainbows, a brown and a tiger.

PM sent.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
i am going to the gorge to fish for rainbows does kmart still sell those rc killers in red, thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF]If you are being serious, I am not sure about Kmart. But Sportsmans and Cabelas sell the plastics. They are Southern Pro L'il Hustlers...red scale and chartreuse. I buy mine online from Barlows.

Doubt you will find the red glitter heads. I make them. But other colors will work.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]