Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of fishing rod and equipment should I buy for trout?
I live in Pennsylvania and I plan on fishing a creek on the Opening Day of Trout which is this Saturday, March 29th. This would be my first time fishing a creek for stocked trout. I was wondering what type of tackle I would need in order to fish for the stocked trout such as a type of reel, hook, line, lures, etc. (Not so much of bait because I know what trout like, I fished for them before). I do have a fishing rod but I think it might be too heavy. I just plan on buying new equipment anyway though. However, it cannot be super expensive. Keeping it under $150 would be great ($200 is alright too I guess but that is pushing it a little).
[signature]
I would probably stick with an Ultralight rod and reel combo maybe from Walmart or another sporting goods store. Line it up with maybe 2-4 pound test. Try spinners like blue fox's, mepps and rooster tails. I'd also try some marabou jigs in 1/16 oz in colors black and olive...maybe purple too. I've been having good luck with purple wooly buggers here in Utah lately.
[signature]
Welcome Deergirl. Only help I can offer would be fly fishing, but these guys know their stuff.
Stick around and report often.
[signature]
I would go with 6 or 8 pound test. If you snagged up, you have a better chance of pulling it out!
[signature]
I use a spinning rod often with 6 pound test. I agree if you get hung up most likely it won't break your line as quickly. I have several rods I use for trout. I like the Ugly Stick Combos. They seem to work just fine. I fish with both bait and lures.
[signature]
I agree us spinners! I sometime use minnow imitation lures like smaller Rapala and Yozuris. I tried using some of those newer lures, Trophy Sticks, but have found that casting them is not the best idea. The paints chips off really easy if they hit rocks and one of the bills broke off after 2 casts!! aarrrhhh!!! Also on one of them the back of it was splitting like a big crack! You'd think for what they cost, they would be more durable!!! I won't be buying them anymore!! Have you been out Deergirl and any luck??
[signature]
The Dock Demon Deluxe you might find at walmart,its virtually indestructible and comes with 6 lb test. Also comes with a nice cork handle. Only down side its a short pole but,if you don't need to cast very far it will do.

[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGe0cyEDJ1Y"] [Image: mqdefault.jpg] 1:11 [/url]

[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGe0cyEDJ1Y"]DOCK DEMON DELUXE[/url]
[signature]
If I was buying a spinning rod for trout only and would never use it for anything else...I only have two options in my head.

The 4'8" ugly stik gx2 ultralight combo. I like the action more than any of the other ugly stik ultralights or lights. Other than no backspin and a drag a snob will turn up their noise at, it's entirely functional and effective, especially with braid.
Or
A 5'6 lite st.croix premier with the most expensive Shimano 1000 reel (although I like quantum pt reels myself) you can afford.

10lb braid and an 8lb fluoro leader. Don't skimp on line, it's more important than the rod or the reel (within reason).

As far as artificial lures, I like strike king bitsy minnows in gizzard Shad or white/chartreuse back.

I prefer plastic baits though myself, white (actually a variety of colors) twister tails and skinny straight grubs in white or black on #4 Aberdeen hooks in gold and bronze. 1/16Oz bullet sinkers and the smallest removable split shots.

Two of the largest trout I ever caught was while fishing for smallmouth with live nightcrawlers on an 1/8Oz Texas rig.
[signature]
I bought me a tinylite rod and reel combo from bass pro. It's small, light and easy to get in and out of tighter quarters. I lined it with 4lb P-line mono in clear. As for hooks I usually use a size 12-14 egg holder. I don't add any weight to it just use a natural drift. I use small inline spinners and pistol petes. It doesn't work everytime but I also like to use a rebel crickhopper
[signature]
I'll just mention one of the best telescoping rods, for only medium prices. The German made (by Balzer) Magna Magic and Edition IM-12 series's.

The IM-12 has Portugese cork handle, Fuji seats, titanium guides with ceramic liners, modulus 12 carbon wrapped.

The IM-12 comes in 6,7,8,9 feet models (actually 3" shorter than that, they are made in Germany and use metric dimensions).

I have the IM-12 180 and it is excellent in all respects. $75.

http://www.psfishing.com/edition-im-12-m...g-rod.html
[signature]