Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek - Kicken Around
Three of us went to Deer Creek to day and fished from our kick boats. We put in at the Charleston access and fished from 9:00 until 2:00. We used sinking lines anywhere from #2 to a #7 and various size 4-6 crystal buggers and leeches. The colors that worked best for the buggers was copper/black, black/green, and midnight fire. The best colors for the leeches were Canada blood, red. & olive. We found more fish as we moved to deeper water (14' - 20') toward the dam. We had slower action than what the trollers and bait anglers have been reporting but we were able to land ten, all 14" - 17" rainbows. The water temperature was 40-45 degrees and the visibility in the water was about 3'. The reservoir is about 83% full or about 9' from being full. The level is coming up about 10"/week. A warm sunny day with no wind until about 1:30. Happy Fishing!
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun man! What was the depth you were finding them at?
[signature]
There were some in the 7'-10' range and also some feeding on the surface after midges that were coming off during the day. Where we saw the most fish was when we got into 12' - 20' of water. Some of the fish were right on the bottom while some were suspended between 12'-14'. Most of the fish that I hooked were while I was stripping the line in from the bottom. I think the water clarity is the reason for that. You have to make some noise with the fly when they can only see a few feet in the water.
[signature]