Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set of 3 SAGE ONE
Hey guys I am new to the forum just wanted to post a couple rods i just got done.. A set of three SAGE ONE 9' 5wts for a guy and his two nephews.. check then out and let me know what you think.. thank you
[signature]

pretty nice looking, I had a few other guys that are hard core fly fishermen not like the wrap up the rod, they say it changes the action too much for them. the people that I have built fly rods for just love them. I have very detailed wraps on all of my rods, even the rods that are store bought.
[signature]
Yeah I have heard the same things from the older hardcore fly fisherman.. i dont consider myself an expierenced fly fisherman so I cant really give a valid opinion.. but im used to bigger rods with wraps on them. You are the first guy I have met that throws butt wraps on fly rods.. other than myself.
[signature]
Not only can utwalleye come up with anything you could ever want in a wrap he is great at showing people how to do it. Too bad you don't live in Utah as he has taught several classes on this over the years to members of BFT. After listening and watching how to do a simple wrap I have total respect for anyone who does it. Hats off to you FLUT.
[signature]
I actually do live in Utah.. I just moved here in october from florida. Little Bit of a change for me.. its nt so bad though..I am in the process of getting a rod buisness started. My buisness partner is in florida. Thats where the whole FLUT comes from FL and UT flut also happens to be a german word meaning rising tide so that worked out well.. I see that utwalleye does some nice work. I hope it is just a hobby as I dont want to step on any toes. Although majority of my buisness is out of state at the moment..
[signature]
As a hard core fly fisher....woman, they are absolutely beautiful. Not my style as it does change the action specially on a One, and it is more typical of spinning and bait, but that is me. Some of the older bamboo rods went a little crazy on the wrappings as well, so not unheard of.
Someone wants a personal rod unlike anyone else, you two are the place to go.
I am interested in the long term of those grips. GOOD cork is getting harder and harder to find so I understand the use, but wonder about slim, wet hands.
I have wrapped some less perfect cork with rattan and it looks great, works fantastic.

Keep up the beautiful art pieces guys.
[signature]
I have yet to fish these grips. Ive used something similar on a spinning rod but not these exact ones. To the touch they are a bit sticky and they are harder and lighter than cork. It seems that today's grade "a" cork is not what I remember.. I am curious to see how these carbon grips do in the cold. I also have a shrink wrap I use on saltwater rods that is almost a type of rubber.. I am eager to put that onto a cork grip and see how it fishes.
[signature]
Look forward to your report. I have a couple glass Hardy and a Bamboo blanks I need to wrap someday. Might try something different than cork.
[signature]

It is kind of a side business that I do and more a hobby also. I've built around 100 rods over the years of doing it. mostly for friends of friends and a couple guides. I work in a semiconductor plant with a few hundred employees that I have build rods for quite a few of my coworkers and their friends. I'm in the process of having a web site put together.
[signature]
What part of Florida did you leave? Spent a few years in Florida myself. My wife's cousin just moved to Florida and keeps sending us pics. Don't think I ever want to live there again but sure would like to visit again.
[signature]
Ive lived all over.. grew up near ft lauderdale the moved up to Leesburg which is near disney. Then the past few year were spent near west palm. If I ever went back which I dont plan on doing I would go over to the west coast of florida. I will tell you what though you cant compare anywhere to the variety of fishing in that state.
[signature]
Yes its the same for me. I am in the process of a website as well. The majority of my buisness is out of state thanks to social media. I dont want to step on any toes with anything though.
[signature]
I have to agree about living on the west coast of the state. If it's between Daytona Beach and Palm Bay on the east coast or St. Pete all the way down to Ft. Myers on the west I've been there. Stay off I 4 and there is some pretty country in between the two sides. Like Winter Haven and their chain of lakes. Fourteen lakes connected by canals throughout the city. Nothing going on where you are at just boat somewhere else no need for a car. They also have a pretty awesome parade of boats at Christmas time through the lakes.

Again nice work on the Sage.
[signature]

your not stepping on my toes, I do this mostly for fun not to get rich. mostly for friends of friends and a few guys off this site. some of my rods I will take like a month to build, I work on them a few hours a week, unless some one wants a repair or they need it by a certain time then I will do it fast. talk to you later.
[signature]
Rods look nice! All this Fl. talk has me salivating….heading to Tampa in early Sept. in 4 years I will be making the move down there…somewhere on the West Coast….Naples area is very nice.
[signature]
I really like the west coast of south Florida for fishing as well. Can't go wrong in much of that state however.
Remo look for a place with a mother-in-law apt when you move down so we all can come visit and fish in the winter[Smile]
[signature]