Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek 3/29
My father and I made a run up to Deer Creek Saturday morning with the boat we are repairing.

Between 7:30 and 11:30 we caught 20 fish -- all bows. Three were nicer sized 16"-ish. The rest were the 13-14" planters.

It was an interesting day. We caught 14 of the 20 between 9 and 10. The last hour and a half we only caught 1.
[signature]
Congrats on the nice catch - but even more kudos for the grammatically correct "My father and I..."

I get so sick of the half-wit usage "Me and my Dad..."
[signature]
We did not catch nearly as many fish as you. But we have had the same experience the past two weekends. Both times the bite started around 9am and lasted no more than an hour or 90 minutes. Then it was over as quick as it started.
[signature]
Does anyone have a evening fishing report for Deer Creek. Have had the same similar success the last three Saturday mornings, but Saturday is out this weekend.....[bobSad] so I wanted to try up there on Thursday evening.
[signature]
Indeed Rocky, a shame there are so many dim-wits making posts on a fishing forum. The mod's should insist on college degrees before letting these people post anything on here!
[signature]
Sarcasm noted.

It's a shame when correct grammar is a rare and isolated occurrence. I congratulated him for it. He, at least, does not come across as a dim wit.
[signature]
I took a trip up there about two weeks ago in the evening.

The fishing was still good for rainbows but they were biting worm rigs and spinners more than flies.

We spent that evening trolling in the Walsburg area.
[signature]
[quote MasterDaad]I took a trip up there about two weeks ago in the evening.

The fishing was still good for rainbows but they were biting worm rigs and spinners more than flies.

We spent that evening trolling in the Walsburg area.[/quote]

Maybe wrong flies were used. What did you try may I ask. Thinking of hitting DC soon.
[signature]
"What did you try may I ask. Thinking of hitting DC soon."

Joni, think Platte River and blood leech. They were working for me weekend before last. Other recent reports have said a variety of streamer and leech patterns have been effective.
[signature]
I have a couple more that work all the time there as well.
Wanted to go this weekend, but ol' man winter might want to come.
[signature]
We were using buggers (crystal, black, purple, and olive) but the best during the morning was an olive mohair.

I have a big rainbow streamer I tried for a while but nothing on that one.

If you have some tips for some better "later daytime" flies I'd appreciate it Smile
[signature]
Or even, "Mean Dad."
[signature]
Absolutely! I have never done well with big flies there. I have done well in 20' of water using a Blood Midge under an indy.
Now if Old man winter would go away! New boat is on it's way!
[signature]
Sounds like a fun trip. Thanks for the report. Did you keep any to eat? If so what color is the meat up there this time of year? The ones I kept at Hyrum are so white fleshed right now, I was wondering if its a time of year thing or more what they are feeding on? They still tasted great, but I'm used to more color in the meat. Now I guess I have been keeping Kokes lately so maybe that's why they seemed so pale. Big difference between them right now. Thanks again for the fish tale. Later J
[signature]
Yes I ate three of them. The fillets were red as salmon on all three.

I marinated and BBQ'd them which pretty much destroys any "natural" flavor (just the way my kids like trout) so I can't really comment on the taste.
[signature]
[#0000FF]The rainbows from Deer Creek have been widely regarded as some of the best eating trout in Utah for many years. They subsist heavily on "green soup", the clouds of zooplankton that have always fed the rainbows well. Of course they eat other invertebrates and some small fishies too, but the diet of "shrimpettes"...rich in vitamin A...helps give them firm pink flesh that is among the best.

In recent years the "Starvation steelhead" rainbows from Starvy have come to rival Deer Creek's bows in flesh color and prime table qualities. Same deal. Lots of aquatic bugs...rich in vitamin A. Both seem to grow fairly fast on that diet but the Starvy strain is from the Jones Hole hatchery and is a bit different than those dumped into Deer Creek.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, don't know why these were so light pink, but they tasted fine. Sorry for a crazy question I was just curious. Thank you. J
[signature]
I have been a believer in the deep dark colored flesh being the best and really like the fish from Chesterfield because of the shrimp and snail diet that makes their flesh so orangish red, but these light pink ones from Hyrum were top notch tasty. I did smoke them and its hard to have a bad fish when they are smoked but it sure made me wonder if they would be any good when I was filleting them. Thanks for the info Pat. By the way I didn't notice a fish story this week from you, is that a weather issue making the fishing less productive decision? Or you can fish anytime you want so you prefer a nice day when ya go? Thanks again for the info. Later J
[signature]
Well, off to the DMV tomorrow and if I catch a break......I will hit DC Sat or Sun
[Image: Fusion2_zps933e7d53.jpg]
[signature]
you spelled deer crick wrong too.
[signature]