Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cant see like I used to
So, I tried to tie up some small midges the other night at my cabin and ran into a little "Old age" issue... I cant see the small stuff anymore! LOL

I kind of knew that I was having issues when at the local waters trying to tie on smaller fly's to small tippet.

So now I am in the market for something to help me out tying at home and in the field.

Suggestions?

I want something easy to use and mobile.
[signature]
Reader glasses from All A Dollar is the cheapest and easiest.
There are several magnifiers available. Some with a base, some with a clamp, some that connect to the vise.

I am able to still tie #32 with both[Smile]
[signature]
[#008000]Oh yea - welcome to the over 40 crowd. For tying at home I use the Opti-VISOR over my reading glasses. Also a strong lamp helps too. On the water I have flip down magnifiers. I also have an auto-threader which works great if you have big hand.[/#008000]
[signature]
Great info folks thank you
[signature]
For fishing:
I never got used to the type that hook onto the visor of a ball cap. The ones that flip down. I had glass lens ones that just seemed heavy. So I tried the plastic lens ones but I soon had them scratched. Went through a couple pair of those. It's been 12 or more years since I have tried those.

I had ones that clip onto sun glasses and flip down. I liked those but they spring mechanism would break so they would not stay up then. When through 4 sets of those.

I settled on glass lens reading glasses. Very strong 4 X dioper glasses. I use them only for tying on flies and and tippet. Some times I just slip them into my breast pocket.
Other times I use a thin pliant Chums eye glass retainers (see the light blue ones on this page https://www.chums.com/category/tech). I hook one side to the eye glasses. The other side I tie to a button hole on my shirt or to a D-ring on my fly fishing vest. That obviously is to make sure that I do not loose the glasses. I have those for about 10 years now.

I have to always have regular reading glasses with me, also. For every thing else that needs reading or detail views - maps, computers, small screws, books. The list is endless.

For fly tying I use the same thing that Dryrod does - Opti-Visor.
[signature]
[#008000]The clip-on that I mentioned is actually a pin-on. See attached photo. Don't recall the manufacturers name but it is an 4X magnifier. The unit pins onto the brim and flips under it when not in use.[/#008000]
[signature]
I had several of those Dryrod, but I think the sun deteriorates the plastic as they break where they slip on the bill. I now have a pair of those with a metal clip and you can slide the magnifier in and out. Very nice.
But I don't always wear caps. I like cowboy hats to protect my ears and neck.
So I have two pair that clip on glasses.
First ones in this pictures
[url "http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cap+magnifiers&id=3873636530BFBF3A6B1D6210AC885A6A10903186&FORM=IQFRBA"]http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cap+magnifiers&id=3873636530BFBF3A6B1D6210AC885A6A10903186&FORM=IQFRBA[/url]

They don't break!
[signature]