Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fudd Friday on UL 4-4-14
[#0000ff]It has been over six years since I last fished with Geezer. That was in his boat on Willard. Had a great time then but we have just let time keep moving along without us since then. Figgered that at our age we might not have too many more opportunities.

Started trying to put together a cat-chasing trip to Utah Lake about 3 weeks ago but Mama Nature has been playing "planning ping-pong" with us. Every time we attempted to schedule a trip the mean mama got huffy about it.

Yesterday we saw that the forecast was "doable", even if there was a potential for "breezes". So we both cancelled all of our golf games with Obama, our red carpet appearances, high level business lunches, book signings, etc. and cleared our schedules for fishing.

Launched the "Geezer Maru" at American Fork Harbor about 8ish. 35 degrees air temp with light breezes from the SE. Water temp 46...warming later to 50. Water color not bad, in spite of lots of wind the previous day.

We started along the west side of the lake but the wind picked up enough to make it tough fishing, even with a double anchor. We observed that the steam columns from the Lindon power plant were going straight up so we headed for the more protected east side of the lake. Geezers inboard can move pretty well across the lake...except when heading into building flat-sided chop. Rearranged the contents of the boat and loosened a couple of fillings before we far enough back across the lake to get out of the influence of the SE wind.

We opted to try around the Bubbleup first. The buoys are now in place but there was no water coming up out of the pipe. Threw lures along the pipe for awhile...hoping for walleye or white bass. Got neither. Did get a nice carp scale.

There was still a pretty brisk breeze so we set the anchor and soaked catfish baits...chub minnows and baby white bass. I missed my first of several major munches on the meat.

After trying several fishless spots around the bubbleup we motored north to fish the flats between Lindon Harbor and the bubbleup. We had just about resigned ourselves to the smell of skunk when Geezer's rod doubled over and he brought in what would be our only cat of the day. Yay, Tom. I managed to only tickle a couple more inquiries on my cat rod.

By this time the breezes had laid down enough that we were able to drift and fish just right, without having to use the anchor. That allowed us to drift over more area. Most of our bites came as we were in about 4 1/2 feet of water. And when the sonar alarm sounded at 3' we would motor out deeper for another drift.

We finished our day fishing the flats to the north of Lindon Harbor. While drifting for cats with a bait rod, I was also tossing a tandem jig rig. I finally managed to bring in a dorsal-diner carp...kept for bait. Then I brought in our solo white bass for the day...a healthy 10 incher that went back to grow some more. We still had plenty of baby whities for bait...no thanks to the slow fishing.

I had several more opportunities. I had one BIG kitty on until about halfway in to the boat it simply let go and gave me back my hook and bling beads...but kept the bait. And I missed one or two more that simply ran with the bait and then dropped it.

My final shot came just as we were starting to pack up to head back in...with the increasing breezes and building "pregnant" clouds on the horizons. I let the fish run with the bait until I was sure he had it good. Then I closed the bail and set the hook. Bendo. Briefly. The line went slack and I reeled in a hookless rig...with a cleanly cut heavy leader. Pike? Who knows? That was a good cue to bag it. And we did.

Great day on the water with a good friend. Us old farts didn't solve all the world's problems by our ownselves but we durn shure talked 'em to death. Had a good time talking about old times...good and bad...and speculating on our own mortality. On a day like that it just don't matter how the fishin' was.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Good to hear you at least got a few nibbles. I can't figure out the colder water kitties at all. I'll destroy em in a couple weeks, I bet, but by then everybody will be!
[signature]
Great report, look like the whitebass is making a comeback this year....[fishon]
[#0000FF]On Utah Lake it is really not too hard to figure out the cold water cats. They tend to show up in several different areas but are spread out...so you have to move around and try different depths to find them on any given day. That can change from day to day or even during the same day...as temps warm or cool during the transition periods.

You also have to have several different baits to try as their preferred provender also changes often. Funny how most of what you catch are females.

I know I would have done much better yesterday if I had been in my tube. Fishing from a boat greatly limits the amount of area to be covered, my S-turn prospecting technique and completely eliminates my "baitrigger" rod setup. Much harder to watch the bites and finesse the fish. I don't miss many opportunities when tubing. Any boater who invites me to fish with them has to listen to a lot of whimpering about tubing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Redbag]Great report, look like the whitebass is making a comeback this year....[Image: fish-on.gif][/quote]

[#0000FF]Well, one whitebass made it through the winter anyway. Actually, my personal forecast for white bass this year is not so optimistic. They had a bad winter two years ago and also some lean feeding and spawning last year. But plenty survived the bad times and we should have a good spawn this year. That's all it takes for a comeback but it will be another couple of years before we see big catches again. The positive side is that we should have some larger and healthier fish this year...even if they are fewer in numbers.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Did you ever watch and listen to a couple magpies sittin' in a tree discussin' things? Well, I 'spect that's what you'd have thought if you'd been within earshot of TubeDude & I yesterday. I really enjoy getting out with that guy. His fishing knowledge blows my mind and he's enough of an old fart that we're kinda on the same wavelength. Gotta get him out in my boat again for some more schooling. Now, his discourses on the advantages of tubing over boating might bug some devout boaters but hit don't bother me none. Been there, done that but now am just too damn lazy to put the effort into tubing.

Thanks for an enjoyable day Pat. Now, let's look at getting some Sacramento Perch.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]

Any boater who invites me to fish with them has to listen to a lot of whimpering about tubing.

[/#0000ff][/quote]

Aint that the truth.[Wink]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thanks again for the invite. It was enjoyable..even if it was in a silly old boat.

Garrison is another place that Mama Nature has kept us away from too long. We gotta sneak out there without telling her about it in advance. Sometime within the next 30 days would probably be best...if the zephyrs will ever lay down for more than 15 minutes.

Can you check with your connections over that way to see what the lake condition is...and whether there is still any decent fishing?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl][quote TubeDude][#0000ff]

Any boater who invites me to fish with them has to listen to a lot of whimpering about tubing.

[/#0000ff][/quote]

Aint that the truth.[Wink][/quote]

[#0000FF]Couldn't be as bad and the griping and groaning I heard out of you after that day of tubing on Scofield. Pretty obvious that you weren't going to run out and buy a new float tube after that one.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote GEEZER] Been there, done that but now am just too damn lazy to put the effort into tubing.
.[/quote]

[#484848]I'm just the opposite, I'm selling my bass boat in favor of the Renegade kick boat (with a little motor of course)...... Too old to bother with a boat, and if it's windy, I just get off the water.[/#484848]
[#484848]I discussed the possibility with Rocky Raab of an OFF Day (old farts fishing day) declared by one of us on a designated good weather weekday at different fishing holes this fishing season with anything that floats.[/#484848]
[#484848]He said he would pack his MRE and be there for lunch.[/#484848]
[signature]
Has the water come up at all? I hit it four weeks ago and the water was really low. We need that lake to fill up this year.
[signature]
[#0000FF]It has definitely come up since last fall, but is still about 3 feet from high water. There is reason for optimism about getting more water yet but if they start dumping water at the pumphouse too early it won't rise much more.

The combination of low water and phragmite "control" has not done the largies any favors. If you can't find a few inside the harbors it's hard to say where they will be. Probably another poor spawn and recruitment year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Funny how you say the powerboat limits your ability to cover water - I know what you're saying, but it's still kinda funny.
Maybe if you strap a Wile E. Coyote type rocket engine to your back, you too could loosen the fillings (and wrack the back). Do they put shock absorbers in the seats on high-er end boats? I wouldn't know... foam padding, and "natural" padding are the best I gest.

Nice ya at least found some tugs and diners. I oft find I'm more able to focus and nail the hooksets on a solo venture than when I'm distracted with babble and poppycock tails.
Glad you two old guys got out fishing. I have been tied up with family matters but still hoping to get out soon.
[signature]
Hey Pat glad the W treated ya fair and you made the trip. Enjoyed the tale. Thanks J
[signature]
I posed the question a little while ago of "is it legal to snag and keep carp?". Is it? The response I got was that it is illegal to take fish by the means of snagging. No mention of non-game fish. I imagine "who cares?", but I would really like a legitimate answer.

I'm not trying to open a can of worms. I may or may have not done the same myself. I just don't want to get bitched at for doing something that seems reasonable.

What's the score here?
[signature]
[#0000FF]Since I have been a "serious" float tuber for over 50 years, I have naturally been a part of many discussions on the advantages/diSadvantages of boats vs tubes or toons. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and they do vary widely. People enjoy different waters and different kinds of fishing so there is no one style that is best for everyone.

Howsomever...I have owned boats, pontoons and quite a few different makes and models of float tubes. And I should be at least marginally qualified to render an opinion on what works best for me.

I freely admit...to anybody who will listen...that a properly powered boat is a great advantage when you want to go faster, make longer runs, cover more water, troll at higher speeds for longer times, etc. And, there are a few types of fishing...like running and gunning down the shoreline with cranks or spinnerbaits...where having a well-appointed boat can work best.

There are definitely times and places when I truly wish I had a boat...but mostly for the "taxi" aspect of being able to load up my tube and rocket to some super far-off spot where I could then climb into my tube for the actual fishing. Most of the types of fishing I enjoy most are ideal for the slow and go stealth approach of float tubing.

With a decent sonar, a knowledge of the place and species I am fishing, using fins for hands-free fishing and properly timing my trips I am golden. The limitations of speed and distance require that I fish each spot more thoroughly and efficiently. I can't just blast off to the other side of the lake when it is slow. I have to figure out the pattern...and when I do, I usually do quite well, thank you.

That's why I find myself whining when fishing from a boat...especially when I know I am over fish but just can't work them as efficiently as I could from the tube. In a boat you are usually either anchored, drifting or relying on an electric motor to keep you in a specific spot. Definitely not the hands-free total control I maintain with my tube.

Whimper, whimper.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]The legality of snagging carp is one of those "letter of the law vs spirit of the law" things. About the only specific restrictions on the taking of non-game fish like carp is the illegality of using firearms...and crossbows. And that seems to be more a matter of public safety rather than removing an advantage for the angler.

The regulations are specific about "no snagging". And they make no exceptions for any species...including carp. But, since you can take them with bows, spears and nets...and they are regularly taken with clubs...the DWR does not seem too upset if they hear about someone snagging carp. However, if you were observed doing so, by a CO, you are eligible for a ticket if they apply the full "letter of the law".

Another one of those areas of the regulations that could use some clarification and rewriting.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I guess now I don't feel so bad I didn't find them Thursday morning. Smile

Being an avid tuber with access to a boat, that idea of boating someplace remote then launching the tubes to fish sounds like a worthy adventure.

I've been wondering why Carp aren't on the "Catch and Kill" list for UL (and Yuba could use it as well probably). Aren't we paying people to net bunches of them?
[signature]
"I've been wondering [#ff0000]why[/#ff0000] Carp aren't on the "Catch and Kill" list for UL (and Yuba could use it as well probably). Aren't we paying people to net bunches of them"

[#0000ff]There. Ya done gone and used the word WHY. I have long held the philosophy that anytime you ask a question with the word WHY...and it has anything to do with people making decisions...there is not likely to be a good answer.

I have had to just shake my head in wonder on a lot of occasions when the subject of proactive and aggressive carp removal...from Utah Lake or elsewhere...has come up in conversation. The feds have budgeted big bucks for carp reduction in Utah Lake...but it is all going to one group, doing one thing to remove the carp...seining.

Other states have had species removal plans that have included paying a bounty for members of the general public who would bring their catch to a designated spot for counting and accounting. Notably the pikeminnows (squawfish) in northwest waters...as an aid to survival of salmon and steelhead smolts on their downstream migrations. Some guys made big bucks by doing nothing but fishing all year...and the overall numbers of the targeted species DID show a big drop.

I have suggested a bounty on Utah Lake carp...even a small one...as an incentive for more people to go after them and to bring them to a proper disposal point when they get paid. There are always "reasons" why this can't be done. They would rather just have the fed money paid in one lump sum to one carp-killing entity...the Loy family.

Another potentially deadly tactic would be to selectively poison or aggressively net some of the weedy coves or specific stretches of shoreline around the lake during the big carp spawn in the spring. Kill the buggers while they are massed up in one area as easy targets. Much easier than trying to net a proportionately small number with nets...on a "chuck and chance it" basis throughout the year. This tactic has been successfully used on some large midwestern waters that were experiencing an overabundance of carp. For one thing, if you time it right, you eliminate a lot of spawning as well.

In two separate RAC meetings I have suggested allowing the use of corn as bait on non-trout waters...such as Utah Lake, Yuba, Willard, etc. I just get eye-rolling and laughter. They do not take me seriously. They don't want to "start anything". Other states allow the use of corn even for trout.

I have also suggested having "carp derbies"...where there would be free entries to the public and prizes for total poundage, most fish, biggest fish, etc. That could be set up either as straight "angling" and/or with a separate division for bow shooting. Either way, with a little publicity it should get a lot of participation...and remove a few carp. Look at all of the public attention and participation in removal of those silly flying Asian carp back in the midwest.

Bottom line: If you really want to get rid of carp, go after them full tilt. You gotta go fast...not "half fast". Tweak the regulations to spell out no-holds-barred on carp...and remove any possible restrictions to killing and removal of carp by the public.

Carp removal at this time of year is especially helpful. I have posted this picture before. It shows the amount of eggs to be laid by one "average" sized carp of about 4-5 pounds.

[inline "CARP CAESAREAN.jpg"]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]