Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
school project
My son is doing a school project on the strength of fishing line. Can anyone tell me where we can get info. on testing and/or research that has been. I know companies have to do testing but how can I get the reports???

Thanks!!!

Lovone
[signature]
[size 3]What You Need To Know About Monofilament Fishing Line[/size]

[size 2] [/size]

Monofilament fishing line has been around for years and are the most popular kinds of lines. they work for a wide variety of fishing applications and can be made to have specific qualities that help under varying conditions.

A mixture of polymers are precicley measured and combined melted in to little plastic beeds and then are heated in a plastic mold injection machein until fluid and then extruded through tiny holes to form strands of line. The size of the hole controls the diameter of the line as well, to some extent, the pound test of the line. These strands are cooled quickly and wound onto spools.

The type of chemicals in the mixture can control qualities of the line like limpness, strength, toughness and other desirable casting factors. The color of the line is also controlled by added chemicals. Lines can be tailor made to fit a wide range of needs. the only quality controll testing is done by a set of micromiters and calipers to asure that the hole the line comes form is not shrinking due to chemicle build up resulting in thinning of the line which would make a specified line a weeker strand.

Lines come in a wide variety of qualities. The more expensive lines have better quality control and will be consistent in strength, color and diameter. They will hold up longer on the spool and in use.

Monofilament line stretches, which can be bad or good. Stretch makes line more forgiving when a big fish makes a strong run, but it also makes it harder to set the hook. The amount of stretch can be controlled by the additives but all monofilament will stretch some.

On spinning reels a limp, flexible line is best but lines with those qualities are usually not as strong and stretch more. Stiffer line works well on bait casting reels and it can be stronger and have less stretch. Stiffer lines are also usually more abrasion resistant. Stiffer lines hold the shape of the spool more and this memory causes problems casting at times. It also makes the line coil after a cast and lowers your ability to feel and control your bait.

Monofilament is cheaper and works in a wide range of fishing needs. It is very popular and will probably be your best choice for general fishing activities.
[signature]
[cool] Go to Trylene fishing line on your web search, you should find some stats there !!

>
[signature]
If I remember correctly Spider line had a good diagram of how their line was made. But that was last century when I was there. Not sure what they have now.
[signature]
another person to check with is "japanron" on the california [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=13;"][size 1]General Discusion[/size][/url] board . it's my understanding that he has been studing and testing different types of line from various manufactures .

another possible sourse to ask would be "tubedude" on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=81;"][size 1]Float Tubing[/size][/url]
forum,

streamside or dryrod on the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=1;"][size 1]Fly Fishing & Fly Tying[/size][/url] board will have additional information as well .

our advertisments have links to some of the manufacteres as well , please take the time to check a few of them out , it is well worth the effort

thank you lovone for comming to BFT to aquire and use our resources , we appreatiate your patronage to this site .
[signature]