Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 4-12-14
Madi was feeling better this morning so off we went. Got launched and out to the spot I really wanted before sunrise and it was on as soon as the TM hit the water. Not quite as good as yesterday but yesterday was overcast and I had the spot to myself. Not so lucky today... UB tournament. The same one that got us a month ago or so when we went to Mohave for the first time in a year. Betting the same turnout so 50 or so boats on the lake hitting every good spot there was. Where we were at we had the area I wanted pretty well covered since it wasn't that big and we were there first but... I could of made a small cast and hit 3-4 boats behind me and on the sides once they made it up there about 30-45 minutes after us. They were everwhere and any decent cove had 5-8 boats in it at a time. We stayed put until I figured it was time to move on after several hours and many fish (I think we got 16 out of that first cove). Madi was the only one I seen that caught anything worthy in that initial cove we were in... 4.05 pounds on a Texas rigged worm.

[Image: LakeMead_04-12-14_002.jpg]

[Image: LakeMead_04-12-14_004.jpg]

I figured she had the big one for the day after that one for sure... But a big old 5.35 pounder happened to like a crank I was tossing later on in the day. Verily landed her. I didn't have a good hook set and only one point of one treble was in her. Madi got 'er done with the net though. The crank did fall out in the net!

[Image: LakeMead_04-12-14_009.jpg]

A nice sized scrapper caught just after the one above on a shakey head.

[Image: LakeMead_04-12-14_014.jpg]

We landed 24 and were off the water by noon. Madi started to not feel good so called it a day. The wind was starting to pick up anyways.
[signature]
Madi does have a way of making a Bass look reallllly big.
[signature]
Man, I need to go fishing with you. Lol. I thought I had a good day and only caught 6 LM and one smelly gizzard shad. The bigest was about 4 to 5 lbs caught it on a spinnerbait. The other 5 were between 2 to 3 lbs caught on a combo of lipless crankbaits, texas rigged senkos, and texas rigged creature baits. The shad actually tried to eat my crankbait which I found completely odd.

Congrats to you and Madi on the pigs.
[signature]
You're throwing all the same stuff we are minus the Texas rigged creature. The first one this morning was on a lipless followed by several spinnerbait fish then off to pile on Texas rigged worms. Later on in the day and in a little deeper waters squarebills and some shallow divers.

Not a bad weekend. Almost 60 between Friday and Saturday.
[signature]
Yeah, that kills my two day totals. I have ten fish between Thursday and Saturday. However, I'm a bank tangler right so that is probably why your fish caught is greater than mine. Lol. I really need to get a boat or at less a kayak. Otherwise I will never be able to keep up with you boat guys. Lol
[signature]
I/we tried shore fishing Mead maaaaany times... Grand total was 2x2lb catfish, a baby Striper and a baby LMB. Dozens of attempts from Boulder to Stewarts... Catching as many as you are shore fishing is 99% better than anything I ever accomplished.
[signature]
The first few times I fished mead I got skunked but I have been on a roll lately. Lol, pretty much a fish-a-holic. If it swims I want to catch it.

I mostly fish the govt wash, hole 33, and the surrounding area. But I dream of getting a boat and having fishing days like yours. Lol. Right now a good fishing day is 5 or 6 fish. Can't wait until I can have a 30 fish day.

Kind of off topic, have you ever had a big gizzard shad try to eat a crank bait?
[signature]
Twice. One was a week ago or so (Mead 4-5-14 post) on a SK 2.5 squarebill and the other about a year ago on a SK 1/4oz lipless.

I don't think they are trying to eat 'em though. They are batting at them or doing anything they can to spook them away. Neither was mouth hooked. Both snagged.

I learned from the first one... The second one I used pliers to grip his mouth as I used another set to remove the treble from his forhead... That first one I swear I could still smell on my hands days later. lol Stinky!
[signature]
Lol. Yeah, I caught a big one in my cast net one time so I knew not to touch it unless I wanted to soak my hands in bleach to get rid of the smell. The one I caught was actually lipped hook so I have no clue what it was doing when I hooked it.
[signature]