Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got the new boat wet
Joined a couple friends at Tibble this morning. Reason, it was close and seemed like a great place to try out the Fuzion. Plus a chance to use the 2 wt and 3 wt rods.
A little slow on the landing fish but they were hitting.
[Image: IMG_1501_zps4646a8c9.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1500_zpseb5ebca1.jpg]

The Fuzion was fantastic. VERY stable. I am sitting about 5" above the water but when rowing or kicking hard a little water found it's way to the seat. I wore my waist high waders and was good. But I was sitting out of the water.
[Image: IMG_1498_zps2f870988.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0296_zpsae80770a.jpg]

A thicker seat could cure this while not effecting the kicking at all.
Rowing although different from other boats was easy and required very little movement.
Now I hear all the time of people saying the bigger the boat the more effected by wind. Well this is about as thin as you can get but I was still fighting the wind. No big deal but I found it no different than my other boats.
I did not use the fins on the bottom of the boat this trip and will be sure to try them next trip to compare.
All in all, I love the boat and made it to my knees on it. Standing will take a little while[Smile]

Oh we put all the fish caught back
[Image: IMG_1505_zpsf9fca23d.jpg]
[signature]
Sweet ride. I was there this afternoon and it threatened to rain the whole time.
[signature]
We saw you as we all were leaving. I figured you would be there at some point though.[Wink]
Dead calm when we got there, then a breeze turned into wind. Time to go.
It is almost a puddle right now.
[signature]
[cool]Thats a nice ride! where can I get info on that?
Thanks.
[signature]
Don't know if you will like the price.
[url "http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/new-2015-outlaw-fuzion-dst.html#previous-photo"]http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/new-2015-outlaw-fuzion-dst.html#previous-photo[/url]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Sure is a pretty green. Would look good on St. Pat's day. But too much green for me.

About the wind thing. One of the thoughts I have had on the subject is that the angler is a "sail" on any craft. Some just seem to track better than others...regardless of how much wind the bladders catch.

Let us know when you are going to try the standup thing. Will have the video cameras running. Of course it would be too bad (for you) if you took a swim, but it might make AFV.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks for posting pics of the Fusion. Hope to see more in the future too. I'm always looking for good ideas for portable fishing craft that can be transported in a Civic. I might start saving up for one. In a couple years, who knows what Scadden will create or what improvements will show up?
[signature]
That is a cool looking boat. It looks like a Gigbob with the top part removed. I bet it was stable. Ron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou52a6Bd8iQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2WxYMwuMe0
[signature]
I see that. Except, that is the TOP part not the bottom. There are two pontoons you put under. But the Gig Bob was similar to the Daytripper by Water Skeeter. I don't think they make either anymore though. Two years was it.
This is SUP technology pontoon AND it has oars & a motor mount. Thick material and takes 15 lbs of air. One air chamber. Quick and easy. No top section.
Thanks for the 2 You tubes (although the second youtube is just a fishing trip so not sure why you included it) and sort of comparison.[Smile]

[url "http://youtu.be/8XZ5iOz5wfM"]http://youtu.be/8XZ5iOz5wfM[/url]
[signature]
Cutting through the ad hype, it looks like a rigid top and super thick bladder on bottom. 700 lb capacity spread out over all that surface area has to comforting.
Certainly tough and class IV River rating.
$2500 is a shocker, but probably worth it if in the budget.
Sadly, it isn't for me. But you make it look good.

Does it come in a more muted color scheme, though??
[signature]
Show price was the same as a Renegade. On the color, this is such a thin boat, I prefer the bright green for visibility purposes. That is the only colors. Fish just see white (like a cloud[Wink])
No rigid bottom, the material is thick as I said. It folds up quite small. There are little dimples all over the boat. These are like little threads holding top to bottom together.
[signature]
I see - like that stacked model Gobjib or whatever it's called.
The little dimples are where the top-bottom ties are attached, pretty sure.
Pretty cool.
Still out if my price point, but so are a lot of things.
[signature]
Really cool! It looks like you stay nice and dry and with that low profile it should be easy to handle in the wind.

That is definitely on my list to replace the tube and toon later this year.
[signature]
My idea about the wind thing is that you are sitting considerably higher with your body trunk out of water, when compared to a float tube. That means more of your body exposed as "sail" area and less sitting in the water causing "drag". What do yaal think?

Pon

[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Sure is a pretty green. Would look good on St. Pat's day. But too much green for me.

About the wind thing. One of the thoughts I have had on the subject is that the angler is a "sail" on any craft. Some just seem to track better than others...regardless of how much wind the bladders catch.

Let us know when you are going to try the standup thing. Will have the video cameras running. Of course it would be too bad (for you) if you took a swim, but it might make AFV.
[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
WT:
I can transport my ODC 420L completely inflated (except for the bottom seat cushion) inside my PRIUS with the car's seats folded down. Then it is only 2 minutes to inflate the bottom seat at location. Another alternative is to transport completely inflated on the roof, using closed loop ratchet straps. Two of the ODC's easily fit inside a carry on size bag for airline travel with a total weight of 16# for the 2, plus the suitcase weight. Never had a problem with the ODCs, but the quality is not as good as the NFOs.

Hope this helps.

Pon

[quote Watertooner]Thanks for posting pics of the Fusion. Hope to see more in the future too. I'm always looking for good ideas for portable fishing craft that can be transported in a Civic. I might start saving up for one. In a couple years, who knows what Scadden will create or what improvements will show up?[/quote]
[signature]
Here is a long distance shot. Note the color being an advantage. Heck I would settle for Hot Pink as long as boaters can see me.
[Image: DSCN0303_zpsc58ce69d.jpg]

This boat does have rockers front and rear. Not a lot but enough.
Pontoonman, I this it is more how the boat tracks as far as ease to operate in wind. All the U shaped pontoons track so much better than the two individual toons.
Drag will definitely help in being blown across a lake, but in the same breath, it will make rowing or kicking just as hard.
Trying to get to shore in my SFC in the wind was probably the worse I have ever experienced.
I am totally sold on Oar and Fin power now.
[signature]
I just added two because I saw it. The Gigbob was a high pressure pontoon too but I think it was more like 6 pounds. I did see a video of a guy that took one down the Salmon River. I can't find it now but his has a lot longer oars and it sat much higher. The white water class on either of them is for experts only in my opinion. The NFO looks almost awkward to row leaning over and rowing at the level of Dave's knee caps.
Staying on that through rough water would be hard too I think but I bet the boat would make it through okay.
[signature]
Sweet ride.

Be sure and try the small bottom keels. I am guessing that they will help you hold in the wind. Interesting to know if they do.
[signature]
We shall see. Bad thing is, they should be at the other end.....I go backwards.
[signature]
Have Dave send you a couple skeg receptacles to glue on the correct end!

_SHig
[signature]