Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Rod & Reel?
Hello Fellow BFT Members Looking for some Info,
Just looking for some feed back on the Cabelas Brand Trolling Rod & Reel? I seen that someone had posted about it sometime ago but I can not find the post. I have always just used my spinning rods to troll, but I don't think I am getting the full advantage I would be getting with a trolling rod. I fish Willard a lot and I was just wondering what size is a good standard trolling rod & reel? Hope to be getting out to Willard soon and getting some Walleye and Wipers in the boat. Hope to hear from you guys soon.

[fishon]
[signature]
This is the one I use for trolling cutthroat/lakers at Bear Lake, kokanee at Flaming Gorge, and Wipers/Walleye at Willard.
Cabelas Depthmaster Combo #DMDR-86M-30B
The rod is limber enough for kokanee, yet powerful enough for lakers. I run 50lb braid with a 6' leader of 10 to 20 lb flourocarbon depending on what I am targeting.
[signature]
I purchased the Cabela's Depthmaster reels with the line counters. The line counters work for the first or second time out then stopped working. My 2 cents - I would not spend the extra $$$ on the line counter version. I can get very accurate on the amount of line going out by counting the number of 10' sweeps I make.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I think i'm going to go get me a couple trolling rods this weekend and try them out on my week off.
[signature]
I have that reel as well, I put leadcore on it and it works great, but it is really heavy duty and over powers smaller fish. However, that setup is almost always the top catching rod in my boat. So I like it, but I also like a light setup rod to enjoy catching smaller fish. But I end up having to use the down rigger to get down to where they may be at. I will probably end up buying another one this year for me, since my other one is the company rod because it is so easy to set up and let others use so they catch fish and don't have problems. Just my take. Later J
[signature]
There is one on the Utah For Sale board, that looks like a good one.
[signature]
[quote BearLakeFishGuy]This is the one I use for trolling cutthroat/lakers at Bear Lake, kokanee at Flaming Gorge, and Wipers/Walleye at Willard.
Cabelas Depthmaster Combo #DMDR-86M-30B
The rod is limber enough for kokanee, yet powerful enough for lakers. I run 50lb braid with a 6' leader of 10 to 20 lb flourocarbon depending on what I am targeting.[/quote] just bought the same one cabela's having a sale right now on them for $59
[signature]
Thanks for the info I'm gonna try and get to cabelas tomorrow. Zacedward thanks for sharing the sale info and thanks to everyone for the feed back just got the boat out of storage going to get it cleaned up and back on the water.
[signature]