Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cabo San Lucas Sportfishing Report and Baja Fishing
Jc Sportfishing Weekly Fish Report.
As the Admiral Seas It
Fishing Report: 4/14/14 to 4/20/14
Stop by Our Office for up to Date Fishing Report.
Today is Easter Sunday and the weather looks pretty decent out. All the kids will be heading home as all the holidays are wrapping up and I think things will get back to normal for us here in Cabo. Spring break and Easter holiday is a big deal here and the town fills up with young kids from the US and lots of Mexican nationals from the mainland of Mexico and even people coming from northern Baja to vacation in southern Baja. There is no doubt that Easter is a religious holiday and then it turns into a big party, anyway on with the report.
Jc Sportfishing Charters is a family owned and operated business and has been fishing in Cabo San Lucas for the past 18 years. Jerry, explains that his charter business is geared more for families and novice anglers, making sure everyone who charters a boat with him have a great time and lots of fun. We welcome families, and groups. We want everyone who fishes with us to take all the sites in and have memorable experience. This is what is most important to us. We have and do a few tournaments each year and can cater to fisherman who might be interested in tournament fishing. Well lets get on with the fishing report for this past week.
WEATHER: The weather has been pretty cool and windy but nice day time highs in the mid 80,s to low 90,s. We did have a couple days that were cooler with overcast skies. I am writing the report right now and it is calm and warm so maybe the wind and seas will lighten up.
WATER: The water temperature has cooled off with the weird currents kicked up by the wind over this past week. It is really all over the place from mid 60,s to mid 70,s but is hasn't been consistent anywhere really. Some swells rolling in on shore and high seas outside has made it not nice to be out there.
TUNA: I don't have any reports on Tuna as they are pretty much nonexistent right now and were hoping for some schools to show .
BILLFISH: The Marlin to be honest hasn't been so hot over this past week due to windy conditions and seas. We worked really hard all week to just pound out a few Marlin and Dorado. Most of the fish caught were landed at the 95 spot and the 1150 when seas permitted us to get there it was real difficult most of the week fighting seas and wind. What we did manage to get was 3 Marlin and some Dorado and all the Marlin were taken on live bait and the Dorado on lures. To sum this up it was not a good past week for the Marlin due to wind and seas. I am sitting here Easter Sunday writing this report and it looks somewhat calm as far as the wind goes and that's a good thing as far as fishing goes.
DORADO: We have landed a few Dorado this past week but not a lot due to conditions. The Dorado we did catch were caught on lures around the 95 and 1150 spots. I wish I had more to report about the Dorado but the fact we are catching them is good news as normally Dorado season starts back more in the month of May when we start seeing warm water temperatures.
INSHORE: The inshore fishing has been somewhat slow the same as the outside fishing and it is mostly due to windy conditions and seas. There has been a few Amber Jacks caught off of the Solmar and there was also some small Dorado and Roosterfish. The Roosters were caught on lures and slow trolled live bait. Really not a lot of Pangas were able to make it out due to conditions. I did have a friend go out and he did real well on Yellowtail and big Sierras using a downrigger with ballyhoo in the area from Solmar to the Light House.
WAHOO: I haven't heard any reports of Wahoo this past week.
From The Admirals Kitchen
How to make Fish Jerky
Jerky isn't just for beef. If you have access to fresh low fat fish, then you may want to try making fish jerky. The process is pretty much the same as for beef, buffalo, venison, etc., except most of the marinades I've seen used call for a sweeter taste. And of course, you'll want to remove the fine bones.
The first thing to do is select the fish you want to use like trout, perch or tilapia. For other fish with a fat content of less than 2.5% to under 5%, see the chart below (1). Remember – unlike beef, you can't trim ‘fat veins' out of the fish, so you want to start with the best fish possible.
Once the fish has been prepared, i.e., scales removed, de-boned, and cut into fillets, you'll want to marinate it. If you don't have a favorite marinade for fish, consider one of the following.
Marinades
Fish Marinade 1: 1 cup boiling water, 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce, 3 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning, 1 cup light brown sugar. (Note: For a smoky flavor try adding 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of liquid smoke into the mix.)
Fish Marinade 2: Half cup soy sauce, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon powdered garlic, 1/2 teaspoon white (or black) pepper, 1 tablespoon light brown sugar. (Note: If you like a hotter flavor try replacing the black pepper with cayenne.)
(Each recipe should be enough for about one pound of fish. )
Directions for making marinades: For each recipe, whisk all the ingredients together and heat on low in a small saucepan. Continue heating and stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. Then remove the liquid from the heat and allow to attain room temperature before using.
You can then place the fish portions into a zip bag with the liquid and allow to marinate for up to four hours in the refrigerator. Turn the bag about once an hour during the marinating process to make sure all of the pieces get even exposure to the marinade.
When you're ready to start the drying process, remove the fish from the marinade, pat dry with clean paper towels, and dehydrate just like you would beef. The same guidelines apply here . . . no stacking, no touching of pieces and if you'r using a home oven, be sure to place meat on wire rack so liquid can drip and air can circulate. You can dry your fish jerky in a dehydrator, in a home oven or in a smoker.
When finished, store the finished fish jerky in a zip plastic bag.
BEWARE: Please beware of the guys in the street selling boat charters. If you wait till the day you are fishing and go to the dock where your boat is many times people will mislead you to another boat or dock trying to put you on a boat that was not meant for you. You need to have a person guide you to your boat, who is from a reputable charter company. This way there is no confusion or misleading. Please remember when renting Sport fishing boats in Cabo that you rent your boat from reputable and established business. Walk into a fishing fleet office and ask questions about what you are getting and what are the costs? You dont want to rent boats from vendors in the streets and you do not want to book through shady websites offering you the world. Check through travel forums about reputable fishing fleets to deal with. Look for testimonials about the fleet your booking your charter with. Ask about what will the boat be supplying? Will it include beverages or lunches? How much does it cost to fillet your catch? Check to see if charter boat is insured? Ask about getting your catch smoked? Check cost of fishing license. These are just a few things to consider when booking your charter boat. We will be talking more about this in next weeks fishing report. Until next time good fishing and we hope to see you in Cabo soon. Come by the office here in Cabo and get all the latest up to date fishing report.
[signature]