Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old 'yak - New Ride
I recently traded in my old DurableDango for a used Toyota Highlander. It took me some research and time to find the right roof racks and front tow eyes to get my Hobie Pro Angler 14 on top. Got that all done this week. Here it is, ready for its first trip down the highway:

Front view

[Image: IMG_0821_zpsaa23c18e.jpg]

Side

[Image: IMG_0822_zpsde4472c8.jpg]

And the Hully Rollers that make loading it so easy

[Image: IMG_0824_zps0d8e0f75.jpg]

The racks add some wind noise even without the kayak, but it doesn't seem any louder with the boat - which surprised me. I was pleasantly amazed to note that my highway mileage is 23 mpg slick and 22 with the boat on top. Must be an aerodynamic package, for sure.

I can still open the sunroof, btw. All told, my concerns about carrying my Prangler on a Highlander are erased. In fact, it may be an even better carrier vehicle than the Durango was.

Good times ahead!
[signature]
That's awesome RR. How are the wheels treating you, are they worth the hundred bucks?
[signature]
They're awesome. I got them at the Hobie dealer in Burley, Idaho when I bought the Prangler two years ago. They even made up the two bolt plates to fit my Durango's rack bar. Great dealership. That was before Scheels opened, or I wouldn't have driven 150 miles to buy the 'yak.

The rollers are built hell for stout. The rubber hasn't degraded one bit after two years in the sun. I picked Thule Crossroads racks because they are easily removable; I plan to take them off for the winter or for long trips without the boat. They do add some wind noise.
[signature]
Just added a decorative touch to the Prangler. It doesn't add anything to the performance, but you'll know who it is!

[Image: IMG_0833_zpsd5866d16.jpg]

And as the fish see it...

[Image: IMG_0835_zps97db61c1.jpg]
[signature]
I am intreaged about you yak,Its a pedal thrust right?Where can I go to get a good look at one,and are they stable?Im an old boy,and my balance went away after back surgery.any help appreciated, thanks

Brad
[signature]
Brad, Google Hobie Pro Angler and you'll find all you want to read or watch. Videos galore showing both how stable they are (as a Swiss bank, btw) and how well the pedal drive works.

I'm 67 and can load and unload mine just fine. I can pedal it all day if I want to troll or cover lots of water. I can stand in it to cast or pee. I can even cook lunch in it.

Downsides? They are more expensive and heavier than other kayaks. There is no "reverse" except for the paddle.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips! Maybe an early xmas present for me!
[signature]