Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT 2014 Utah Fly Fishing Comp?
I posted this on the main board but thought I ought to post it here as well....

I have had a few members on here asking if there will be a BFT 2014 Utah Fly Fishing Contest this year.

Here is a link to last years conest [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=808887;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/gforum.cgi?post=808887;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]

Part of this thread is to gauge interest, maybe drum up some prizes, and possibly change a few things based on what happened last year.....

#1- Less than 8 fish species total. (I think only 2 contestants even caught 8 fish species)

I would be more for 6 species total, with 2 trout and 1 panfish required. Only 1 may be a non-sport fish.

#2- Allow fish measuring boards. (I tried one and it was great!)

#3- Disallow catfish entries. (Fly anglers almost never target them specifically.)

#4 - Have a shortened date structure. (Entries dropped off significantly by october and we are already well into April).

#5- Proposed entry fee to create a prize? (Entry money would be due within 1 week of registration though.)

If I think of more I will add them.

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR OTHER SUGGESTIONS!
PLEASE POST THEM UP HERE!

[signature]
PM a mailing address I got a loon chest pack I can donate for prizes
[signature]
I would def consider this.

A small entry fee is no big deal. An odd entry fee like a dozen flies and 5 bucks would be cool. The grand prize could be everyone's flies in one of the really nice, big fly boxes (which would be purchased with the entry fee).

I personally like a monthly style tournament that runs for the season. Each month would have a small prize and each month could be for a specific species (or two, or three). Generally, these types of tournaments operate on a points basis-- first place gets three, second gets two, third gets one and at the end of the season the angler with the most points wins the grand prize (think of it like Nascar [cool]) This allows anglers to enter at any time, and gives anglers a chance to win many small prizes. Also, you can still do well even if you hate fishing for a particular specie or can't fish one month.

In regards to boards, I believe it should be the only legitimate way of measuring your catch. Cumbersome to carry, maybe--but, they are nearly impossible to cheat. In many of the CPR tournaments I have fished commercial boards are the only acceptable means of measurement.

Check these out: http://www.austinkayak.com/products/8737...fgodl4oApg
[signature]
I would say tape measure or board should be acceptable (not like this is a big money tourney where cheating would be rampant) I would not want to lug a board around with me, just my .05
[signature]
I have a couple of rod tubes I could donate, Sage and Cabelas. LMK
[signature]
I like the idea of less than 8 fish. In my opinion I believe 6 is the right number........but maybe we should make it

3 required Trout

1 required panfish

and only 1 non game fish may be entered.
[signature]
Lugging a couple foot board along wading streams certainly may make some wonder if someone is a 5150. If that happens "there shall be no more cakes and ale" let alone whiskey and cigars during the psych hold.
[signature]
I still have the Simms head water chest pack from last year, tags and all
[signature]
I will see what I can come up with for this event as well.

I personally like the measuring board idea. More visible and easy/quick.
[signature]
Bet you're glad he's nuking the cat entry, but not the non-gamefish! Sure you'll nail that one to a board!

Good luck flingers.
I am Confused on that. I am not entering and what is wrong with Catfish?
[signature]
Looks like some prizes are coming together.[Smile] Thanks everyone!!
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I am Confused on that. I am not entering and what is wrong with Catfish?[/quote]

If you want to play for catfish there is already a contest for it[Wink]. Pretty sure you can use flies in that one too.[cool]

But all kidding aside it seemes that no one really specifically targets catfish on the fly anyway. How many catfish only fly flingers do you know?

Think of the ice comp. Carp are not allowed, do many ice anglers target carp specifically under the ice anyway? Nope.

Do fly anglers target carp? Heck yes they do!

In summary it's really just what fits to the nature of the type of fishing the conests is designed around.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Lugging a couple foot board along wading streams certainly may make some wonder if someone is a 5150. If that happens "there shall be no more cakes and ale" let alone whiskey and cigars during the psych hold.[/quote]

I have to admit I am Confused about what that even means?
[signature]
Oh I totally understand what you did there.
My comment was to Yote. Why would I be glad? I am not playing[Smile]
[signature]
That's because it was a response to our Shakespeare quoting cop Remo50.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]That's because it was a response to our Shakespeare quoting cop Remo50.[/quote]
[laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[quote riverdog]That's because it was a response to our Shakespeare quoting cop Remo50.[/quote]

Do noteth beith upset, for all will come to fruition on a me summers nights dream..

Or some crap like that...eth
[signature]
What about having each contestant sending in a fly as a "entry fee" and giving it to the winner of the comp?
Flies can be as cheap as 50 cents, hand tied, etc.?
Of course those who have donated some prizes already (big thanks to you guys by the way) would not have to submit a fly as an entry fee.
[signature]
Im in, Ill have something to donate either flies or a fly box.
[signature]