Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River Catfish
To you river cat guys, I have next week off and was planning to hit the Green River and try for some catfish.
The river by the town of Green River is currently running high with the runoff,
I know that river is always muddy anyway, but will the high water be big factor to consider?
I have a guy coming down from Wisconsin to sample Utah fishing just for fun and he is interested in cats,
I planned to try there until I heard of the runoff,
Usually I go there in summer, never tried it this early, any help would be greatly appreciated.

1sthound
[signature]
Don't know the Green River, so might not be much real help. BUT... what river fishing I do-do, I like to find some structure, a bend, a rock, a log-jam, something that eddies up the water. They seem to like to have something to hang-around. Usually find a sharp bend will be deeper on the outside cut.

Big flat weights can help deal with the current. Sliding style. You can fish a bobber too, but I find it works best where I can find a good eddy that will actually carry the bobber upstream. Couple spots I've come across will travel a circular pattern, so it's flows upstream along the shore, then catches current, zips down stream and swings back in and up again. Saves casting and recasting.

Good luck, hope to hear how you do.
It's good to find another catman! I grew up in Green RIver and have fished the river around town for years. Like you said, the fishing gets pretty rough with the runoff this time of year. Most everything that is reachable by car and foot is unfishable due to the strong currents and all the backups I know of are on private property. I haven't been up there to check things out this year, but my favorite spots were always up around Swasey's Beach. If the water isn't too high there are plenty of good holes around there where I've caught several pigs around 10 pounds. Just be sure to pack heavy weight and cut bait. The big cats loooove chubs/suckers. Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks Yote, I will have to get some more bigger weights
I fed Utah Lake and the Green a few dozen to many.
If the Green doesn't pan out I can always go try to get him on some wipers in Huntington, I know Scofield is now totally ice free as I was working up there today, So I will find some fish somewhere to prove to him we really do have a few fish in Utah
1sthound
[signature]
Bigscoopa, I was planning to hit Swaseys and try for a big fella, Hopefully the water is not too high and fast, if it is
well, It will still beat work eh? I have the chub meat ready for a good soaking,
[signature]
Aaaa..... we need both of you fellas in the cat contest. The south needs all the help we can get. The northern guys are starting to make us look(?) bad. Only 5 bucks to join and enjoy the banter and the competition. Yote has all the details.

Hope to have you with us.

BLK
[signature]
BLK, Sure I will jump in the contest, The other dude is from Wisconsin he would likely go home catch a 60lb.
flathead and enter that beast ! He is only here for a week or so to sample Utah fishing. And harass me.
[signature]
Great! We need all the help we can get. Give Coyotespinner a shout and he will get you all the details. Contest goes 'til the end of Sept so plenty of time. Top three cats scored in length will take all the marbles. Best single cat last year was a 33 1/2 incher from up north. Best three, again by length, usually total in the 90s. Lots of back and forth banter and friendly competition. Only $5 to play. You will be welcome.

Don't let Yote try to tell you the Green River is in the "north". He is notorious for trying to manipulate the scores to favor the northern guys.[Wink]

Look forward to seeing some big 'uns from the Green.

BLK
[signature]
I forgot about the cattin' contest! The only problem is that I live in St. George now and the cattin' is pretty non existent down here. Gunlock used to have some beasts until they drained it to fix to the dam...so Sad. Powell is the only other place I can think of nearby that would have kitties, and I've only fished for them at Hite where the Colorado comes in. I might as well sign up though just in case I make a trip to GR or something. The South will prevail!!! PS, Good luck on the Green, I'm jealous[Wink]
[signature]
We need ya and you will be welcome. Check with Coyotespinner for details.

I had a great day on Ut. Lake today. Caught a bunch but the best was only 28 inches. Still mighty fun.

BLK
[signature]
I need to join this contest to help the southern boys land some big ones.
[signature]
Yes you do -- nice cat.[Smile]
[signature]
We need you for the south team and please bring that cat with you.

BLK
[signature]