Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backyard fishing!
Hey guys, just thought I'd show you what I've been working on lately in stead of fishing!

A buddy and I started a company called Ideal Aquaponics (idealaquaponics.com) and we help people eat better food! We do this by combining live fish with a media bed (expanded shale) in a passive greenhouse and what we get is fresh fish, vegetables and fruit, all year long. Basically, you feed the fish, fish feed the plants and the plants clean the water for the fish.

For those of us that love fish, imagine having trout, wipers, bluegill, catfish or just about any other kind of freshwater fish you can find in your backyard!

For those that love good greens, imagine having garden fresh salsa for the superbowl! You can be harvesting strawberries in January when everyone else is looking forward to spring!

We're doing our big kickoff at the Live Green SLC festival downtown this saturday from 11 to 5, come out and see us!

Here's some pics of our test greenhouse:

[inline Greenhouse.jpg]

[inline Trout.jpg]
[inline Greens.jpg]
[inline "Fish Tank.jpg"]
[inline "Raft bed.jpg"]
[signature]
Looks like a good idea…beats the crap out of the RexFly or whatever that thing is [laugh]
[signature]
Looks cool Matt, Hope you guys do well.[cool]
[signature]
Pretty cool man!

I spent some time working on a similar project in college. We were on a much larger scale though.

Congrats and keep it up.
[signature]
Freaking awesome!! I have been doing a bit of research (mostly youtube)on this food growing method. I will definitely be checking out your website and be getting in touch for more info. Food doesn't get more local than that!!
[signature]
That is fantastic. I am working on a Green House for longer veggies, but the fish is a brilliant idea!
Thank you so much for sharing.
[signature]
That's pretty creative. I like it. I'm on the water Saturday or I'd stop by and check it out.
[signature]
"For those of us that love fish, imagine having trout, wipers, bluegill, catfish or just about any other kind of freshwater fish you can find in your backyard!"

That looks like a cool set up. Where do you buy all of your fresh water fish? In CO. they would be growing something else in there..ha Fishon
[signature]
Please do! We're really excited about this and it's fun to talk to people that are too!

For those that are interested in more info on it all, or maybe in some help getting your own system started email me at matt@idealaquaponics.com!
[signature]
Fish come from a few different sources. Right now the only game fish we've used is trout but we have local sources lined up for bluegill and wipers. Any others I'm sure we can find a source easily out of state and have them shipped here.

We'd like to find a way to get Tilapia in our systems, they really are the ideal fish to use in an aquaponic system. Unfortunately they are illegal in Utah and you need a crazy variance to get around it, but we plan to start working on that as soon as Saturday is over and we have some time again.
[signature]
So what's the cost?
[signature]
And what about maintenance?
[signature]
If trout are game fish in Utah how do you make that work? Did you have yo get some type of special permit?
[signature]
What we offer is really the Cadillac of greenhouses, and has a pretty steep price.

A 9x12 Passive Solar Greenhouse with a full functioning aquaponic system is $13,000 installed. The 9x22 is $18,000 installed.

We also offer indoor aquaponic fountains that are more affordable and work fantastic as herb gardens. The manufacturer is here (http://www.theaquaponicstore.com/Aquapon...-s/477.htm) but we can get them to you cheaper than they sell them online.

For someone who wants to have a full size production system but wants to do it themselves, we'd love to provide some help and friendly advice!
[signature]
Maintenance consists of this: Feed Fish. Replace Evaporated Water. End.

This needs to be a balanced system and if you're doing it right, you need never do anything more than feed the fish and grow vegetables.
[signature]
Yep, you need a special permit for any game fish except sterile rainbow trout. We can help you get those permits if you want them though!
[signature]
Unreal! No electricity? This is so great!
[signature]