Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge
I got out on Saturday at the Gorge. I was bucking the Rainbow Trout trend by going for kokanee. It was pretty windy outside of Sheep Creek, trolling speed was impossible to maintain, we were trolling from 1-3 - 3.8 mph gps speed. The wind had my wife or I at the wheel counter steering the whole time to prevent a 360 twisted mess. My daughter reeled in by herself her first two Kokanee salmon (she's hooked for good now I hope). We ended up with six Kokanee before we gave up for the day. Trolling a flasher and a pro troll E Kokanee Killer. It was slow but I'm glad we were able to get some. The gal checking for muscles said she hadn't seen anyone with Kokanee yet coming out, so probably a little early to target them. It was nice to get out, boat started right up and ran well, kicker motor I pulled until the cows came home and finally got it running. Hopefully the sea foam will do it's thing and it will start easily the next trip out.
[signature]
Atta boy Randy, Good on the little one on here first Koke herself.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Neither IE or Firefox recognizes the format of your pictures and they will not open for me. [:/][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Worked for me with IE 11, wish you luck the pictures are Nice.
[signature]
Very nice that's what I've been waiting to see. Thanks for the story and pictures, nice fish and cute daughter. Those Kokes are so much fun and great to eat. Good job. Later J
[signature]
[quote submoa]I The gal checking for muscles said she hadn't seen anyone with Kokanee yet coming out, so probably a little early to target them. [/quote]

[font "Calibri"]A big congrats to your fisher princess. Two all by herself, NICE!!![Wink][/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I was planning on posting up a separate FG salmon thread but if you don’t mind I’ll just add to yours. Salmon fishing was a little slow this past weekend (May 2-4) until we found the right area and bait combo. From there it was easy cheesy. Ended up filling our four limits of salmon in no time at all. You won’t see many fish on your graph because their only a couple feet down. Downriggers were set at 8’ but the majority came off planer boards and snap weights off the side. Dodger and Pink was money with pink/purple come in at a distant 2nd. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I was also able to hook into a very nice Mac as well. Unfortunately when the rod went bendo my braid main line went snapo. Oh-well, I had him for a minute to fill a head shake or two. Crazy when new 20lbs braid fells before two year old 12lbs fluorocarbon. [:/] [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Again, congrats to you and your little one! [/font]
[signature]
[quote WiperMac][quote submoa]I The gal checking for muscles said she hadn't seen anyone with Kokanee yet coming out, so probably a little early to target them. [/quote]

[font "Calibri"]A big congrats to your fisher princess. Two all by herself, NICE!!![Wink][/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I was planning on posting up a separate FG salmon thread but if you don’t mind I’ll just add to yours. Salmon fishing was a little slow this past weekend (May 2-4) until we found the right area and bait combo. From there it was easy cheesy. Ended up filling our four limits of salmon in no time at all. You won’t see many fish on your graph because their only a couple feet down. Downriggers were set at 8’ but the majority came off planer boards and snap weights off the side. Dodger and Pink was money with pink/purple come in at a distant 2nd. [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]I was also able to hook into a very nice Mac as well. Unfortunately when the rod went bendo my braid main line went snapo. Oh-well, I had him for a minute to fill a head shake or two. Crazy when new 20lbs braid fells before two year old 12lbs fluorocarbon. [:/] [/font]
[font "Calibri"] [/font]
[font "Calibri"]Again, congrats to you and your little one! [/font][/quote]

very nice, mind sharing where you were fishing at/ were heading up saturday for a day trip. planning on going to buckboard.
wanting to target kokes if we can find them
[signature]
PM sent.
[signature]
Thanks, my daughter had a blast, made the day for sure. 20 lb braid could be half rotten and shouldn't break, I've used it on my planer boats on my outrigger mast before (wish I would have brought the mast with me as it would have made fishing more successful). I'd be re-lining as you had to have a defective batch. I also found them shallow, not as shallow however. 15 ft (smaller Kokes) down to 30, which I graphed, dropped it down in front of the mark and caught the biggest Koke of the day. Mostly I had the riggers at 20 ft. I did use planer boards for a while, it was just more than I could handle with the wind, daughter, and my wife or I would have to steer the boat 100% of the time so we didn't have a "flaming gorge twister". My wife can't reel in with the board and snap weights by herself, add the wind and I saw disastrous tangles so went back to the riggers. If it was calm (or you have more people on the boat) I would agree that would be the best medicine for them when they are this shallow.
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]
I've hosted a "Man Trip" for my sons and their grandpa for the last 5 years and we've always gone to Powell but decided to "mix it up" this year and go to the Gorge for the first time ever. We have a slip reserved at Lucerne for the boat and will use that as our base of operation. I have googled and read every possible post on every forum possible but have found this site to be the most helpful - especially the posts above - sure could use some current advice from you experts Smile Would appreciate any willing PM's
[signature]