Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Reds
Been fishing for the past 8 days straight, and heading back down tomorrow. The fishing is really turning on. Here's a couple we caught on a "fun day" trip.

[Image: 9BC9E794-C1C7-4FA9-81E5-5A58C0BBF7F2_zpsgnvreqz9.jpg]

[Image: 9BC9E794-C1C7-4FA9-81E5-5A58C0BBF7F2_zpsgnvreqz9.jpg]

[Image: 40EEBEEE-57F2-4982-9395-6490845196BF_zpsbcrthhiv.jpg]
[signature]
Did you back hand that guy for "gilling" that breeder? [pirate]

Nice fish man.
[signature]
What are you talking about? These 2 might be breeders but so are all the small ones.

Our breeders are protected once they are in federal waters. And the real breeders are twice this size, 200' deep in 210' of water. I know that because I've swam with them for the past 32 years.
[signature]
LOL, I was talking about the fella on the bow holding that Red. It looks like he is holding the fish by it's gill plate.

I use to hold certain species that exact same way years ago, but I've come to find you can seriously injure a large fish when held like that. You guys might be able to keep those down there, so it might be a different ball game. In SC, the numbers are low and the regs require the release of the larger fish; in state and federal waters. We have a very strict slot for redfish, as most people just release them. SC DNR biologist worked with some of our fellow captains in regards to good handling practices. This is a good read for the conservation minded, and clearly notes gill grabbing a fish as a bad practice, unless it's going in the fryer later.

http://www.southcarolinasportsman.com/de...php?id=518

I didn't mean to get into a battle of semantics with you. As a fellow captain, I respect your opinion.

I also have over 20 years experience myself. [Wink]
[signature]