Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips on Shad
Any tips on catching shad? Do you only actively search for a school and throw the net, or do you guys go to areas that *may* have shad, but you can't see them and throw the net? If the latter, what am I looking for? Do they tend to stay near structure, or are there specific things/terrain/landforms to look for when searching for the shad?

I've seen shad schools in the wash, but any ideas where they may be near Echo? Also what depth water are they usually hanging out and catchable? Is this even the right time of year?

In the Wash, assuming I catch both threadfin & gizzard (not the gigantic ones), which is "better" as bait? Either for large mouth or strippers. Same?

Thanks for the help
[signature]
Come to a Striper Club meeting tonight at 7pm. Bass Pro Shop, in the conservation room.

You can ask us all the questions you have.

Also reed my report on our club website
[signature]
The threadfin are not very durable and die quick. The gizzard shad are tough and live all weekend in the bait tank. Right now the shad are in the coves as the falling water levels are changing the shad habitat.

The shad up north are not worth the time to net compared to the wash.

Finally try to move your boat bow first into a section of a cove. This will push them into tight schools and up into the shallow water. Throw your net between you and the shoreline in 2 or 3 feet of water.
[signature]