Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Transducer Mount
[cool][font "Times New Roman"] I long ago decided I would not fish without sonar any more. Since then, I must have tried a hundred ways to mount the skimmer transducer from my Eagle sonar system on my float tube.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] One thing I decided was that mounting the transducer on a piece of ½ inch PVC pipe was a good place to start. After that, I have tried a lot of different ways of attaching the shaft to either my rod rack or D rings, to get it to be stable yet vertical for optimum performance.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] Until recently, I have been using a rod rack that is a combination of wood and PVC (see attached pic). I have been mounting the PVC transducer pipe right in the middle of this rack, using split vinyl tubing and a small bungee cord.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] My latest method incorporates the use of a single length of bungee cord, but you could make it work with plain nylon rope or parachute cord. Stretchy is easier to get on and off though.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] I start by pre-measuring the length of cord I need to reach around the air chamber. I tie one end directly to the lower end of the transducer rod. I tie a loop in the top end, and then bring it around to slip over the top of the rod.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"] This setup is easy to install and take down…at launching or beaching. It is also easy to adjust while on the water…for a vertical reading. To avoid banging the plastic cover of the transducer, you should rotate it up out of the water when launching or beaching. If the cover gets cracked, the transducer will need to be replaced.[/font]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Not a problem, George. [url "mailto:pscouten@qwest.net"]pscouten@qwest.net[/url][/size]

[size 1]I removed it from my profile because I was getting some unwanted emails.[/size]

[size 1]I lost your info from my files too, when Fry's Electronics dumped my data instead of fixing my CD drive. They seem to think that "System Restore" solves all problems.[/size]
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

Man that is a nice setup. That Fat Cat can really support some weight huh? Just wondering if the vehicle suspended from under the tube doesn't interfere with the sonar signals?

Can you turn the direction of the transducer or does that model have side scanning where you might do something with it like my fishing buddy?

Sweet setup but...... what else whould we expect from TubeDude!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, JapanRon, let's see if I can properly address your questions and concerns.[/size]

[size 1]1. The vehicle becomes necessary for locomotion when the lake dries up. At that point the transducer is not sending through water anyway.[/size]

[size 1]2. That transducer is the standard 20 degree Eagle skimmer unit. It shoots straight down only. However, with a flexible cord arrangement, you can "widen your horizons". I have played around with that in the past. It requires that you hold it in position for a few seconds, before it begins transmitting a continuous signal. It works well for scanning a nearby steep sloping bank for potential structure oriented fishies. If you see some, you can cast to them without having to go over them first. But, a true "side-finder" feature is better suited for that task.[/size]

[size 1]I just got it rigged over the weekend. Trying to get out on the pond with Shrimpboy, from Utah, on Tuesday. Will be putting both the new transducer mount and the new rod holders to the test.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]After Xmas it will be my turn to play with hooking up a FF on my tube. So as of now I can't comment because I wouldn't know what I was talking about.[/size] [size 1]But from what I can see of your pics they do merit a lot of consideration.
[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]I am sure you are looking forward to getting "eyes" for your craft. Then you can experience the "joys" of getting everything mounted so that it is both functional and esthetically pleasing...with the lightest possible weight.[/size]

[size 1]I am not vain enough to suggest that I have come up with the ultimate way of mounting rods and sonar. I am sure that somewhere out there is still the idea that has been eluding me, and that once I find it, I will be amazed at how simple it is.[/size]

[size 1]In the meantime, I think the PVC shaft for the transducer...with a stretch cord fastening system...is the easiest and has the widest range of applications. With that, it doesn't make any difference what kind of rod holders you use...or whether you even have a rod holder. You can mount the sonar independently.[/size]

[size 1]I hope Santy Claus gets the order right...and that you have been a good boy this year. It ain't easy turning a lump of coal into a sonar unit. I don't think I could make PVC work in that case.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]UPDATE: Had a chance to try the new transducer mount this past week. Works like a charm. Makes it possible to fish sonar even if you do not have a rod rack to attach the transducer to...or to use the new horizontal rod rack I just finished (see new post).[/size]
[signature]