Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New 4-Tube PVC Rod Holder
[cool][size 1]I am attaching a brief writeup and some pics on the latest PVC project from TubeDude's garage.[/size]

[size 1]In a nutshell, I was trying to make something simple, cheap and durable. I was also going for lighter weight. That's why I "Swiss cheesed" the PVC with a drill. It didn't knock off a lot of weight, but the end result is easy to attach, stable and totally waterproof...without any screws or wood finishing.[/size]

[size 1]As I mention in the attached writeup, I am working on a new horizontal rack that I think will have a lot of appeal. [/size]

[size 1]Stay tuned.[/size]
[signature]
It looks like it is only getting better and better each time. I am also building a similar model but I am using schedule 20 instead of the schedule 40. I may have to swiss cheese the connectors as well because they are heavy. Nice Job.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Nice looking illustrations. Looks like you have a never ending project going on here. Probably like me I wake up in the middle of the night with another idea on how to improve on the tube rack concept. Keep up the good work.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Dryrod, glad you like the latest version. Now I gotta test it for functionality. [/size]

[size 1]I know whatcha mean about waking up at night with new ideas for "tubing projects". I have had nights where I spent all night building something and then wake up and it was all gone. Dang. I hate it when that happens.[/size]

[size 1]As I recall, when I was younger there were a lot of other things to keep my mind occupied. But, I will settle for things related to fishing these days. It sure could be worse. Right?[/size]

[size 1]It's great to have some other "creative genious" types on the forum here. Toss out an idea and bat it around until there is a group opinion...good or bad...and then go from there.[/size]

[size 1]I hope to get a running start at the horizontal rack idea during the holiday weekend.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, TubeKid, you are the plumber in the family. I have never worked with the schedule 20, but suspect that it would work fine. Have you ever done a side by side test for weight...on two pieces of equal length...to see what the weight difference is?[/size]

[size 1]What would be ideal is to come up with a design that works best for tubing and then find an injection molder that would make some like those they sell for boats. The walls of the tubes are light but strong, and there are no heavy PVC connectors. Everything is just bonded.[/size]

[size 1]Those are the three tube and four tube models I gave you guys. They get the job done, but they require too much modification for our style of fishing. It would be great if we could get them made to order. As I recall, that 4-tube pre-fab weighed less than 2 pounds.[/size]
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, Yeah that 4 pole holder is still under the 2lb mark. I am working on a 5 pole design out of the schedule 20 and hope to stay within the same guidelines. The schedule 20 is almost 1/2 the weight of the schedule 40 and for the way that we are useing it as rod holders, there is no major sacrifice in strength.

The main rating on the strength of Sced 20 and 40 is for the amount of PSI of the liquids that you will be useing inside of them as well as crush strength for underground apps. The non reduceable weight will only lie within the connectors that are used. All of the Tees, Elbows, Crosses and Couplings remain the same heavier pieces which will need your swiss cheese technique.

I thought of pestering some of my buddies out here that have injection molding equipment to make some of this stuff. It would all come down to making a dye for their machine.

That is the expensive part of the molding process. My plans were to use my microtorch technoloy along with some "Goop" and fuse them myself. That would keep it light and I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage on my house just to get a 30-50,000 die made up. I could get a big float tube with 50grand.

Anyway, I also have some tinkering time available over the holiday season. The busiest time for me will be Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, and New Years Day. I got signed up once again for the Rose Parade.

As harmless as the Rose Parade looks on TV, it has its own disasters as well. Every year there are close to 85 individual event that need 1st aide or better. That is not bad considering that there are usually 1.2 million people along the whole parade route + the participants in the parade.
[signature]
[Tongue][size 2]Hi Guys,[/size]

[size 2]Since you mentioned the Rose Parade - how about a tube parade? Man the converstion about this subject could go on forever.[/size]
[signature]
Hey Dryrod, I almost forgot to mention. TD may be coming into town in the early part of Feb. We are planning a BFT floatillia get together. We will have TD, TN2(me), TNtoo(my son), JR, theangler, the DH tubinboys, perhaps the southernman, nighthawk, and there is room for some more so come on and join us. We are trying to get all the CA board as well as those from NV, and AZ. It should be fun.
[signature]
[cool][size 2]Hi TubeN2,[/size]

[size 2]Hey thanks for the invite. Sounds like it would be fun. Hope it isn't during the first week of the month as I will be fishing for golf balls in Palm Desert.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2038;]
[signature]
[cool]Hey tubedude nice rod holder. I made one myself out of sched. 40 pvc but did it up different. I made it a three rod holder but used two tubes horizontaly, one near the top and bottom to space it out from the floattube. The vertical tubes are attached by stainless steel screws. There are caps at the bottom of each vert. tube and a coupler at the top. The caps have a hole drilled for drainage as well as a couple on the tubes. The whole thing is strapped to the floattube with a nylon strap with quick release buckles. When the strap s pulled tight, it won't move at all with two saltwater rigs and a large landing net.I got the idea from baytubers.com. Sorry so lengthy but I am digital camera impaired.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, BigE, thanks for the input. I think I got the idea. I have dropped in on Baytubers site a few times for ideas myself. [/size]

[size 1]If you are using larger rod handles...like on saltwater sticks...it makes sense to use larger tubes and separate them more. Also, for drifting or dragging a bait, it is handy to have the forward rod out at an angle. Also, that nylon strapping works fine to cinch things in place. If I am lashing anything to the tube, without using D rings, I like to tighten it up before I finish airing up my craft. That tightens it a bit more.[/size]

[size 1]I have about five or six different models right now, with a couple more on the drawing board. Hopefully we can keep getting good new ideas and sharing them...so that we can all have the type holder that will work best for the fishing we do.[/size]

[size 1]With everybody posting up pictures like it was nothing it is probably frustrating to be stuck in the film age. I still have some good SLR cameras, but just don't use them anymore. Too easy and cheap to blaze away with the digital and toss the shots that aren't what you want.[/size]

[size 1]The good news is that...like most technology...digital cameras are really dropping in price and improving in quality and simplicity. Maybe you will trip over one someday and then you can share your pics too.[/size]

[size 1]Welcome anytime.[/size]
[signature]
That looks really nice TubeDude. I think you could have drilled much larger holes without any structural issues. Another way to save weight would be to go to class 200 PVC instead of schedule 40. It's much harder to find, but some of your local plumbing shops could special order some for ya. Once again, its looking really good.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Thanks Beeman. I plan to do some stuff with the schedule 20 soon. We have a lot of good plumbing supply outlets down here, so I will have plenty of places to find it.[/size]

[size 1]Right now, my project is the horizontal rack I have been toying with. Did some cutting and fitting this morning and stuck together the basic unit...using schedule 40 1/2" PVC. I think it's gonna work great, and the weight comes in right at 2 pounds.[/size]

[size 1]One of the final touches I have to come up with is the "snap apart" feature...to allow the vertical support to be permanently fastened to the tube...and the horizontal part to just snap into place at launch. It looks like a nobrainer so far.[/size]

[size 1]The final wrinkle is attaching some foam insulation rings along the horizontal bars...slit to allow the placement of both the handles and the rod shafts. This idea will not add significant weight, and will hold the rods snugly against rolling against each other and potential loss over the side.[/size]

[size 1]I also think I will attach a couple of lengths of stretch cord across the horizontal bars. These can be pulled across the rods while launching and beaching...or anytime...to help hold the rods snugly against the holder.[/size]

[size 1]Gonna take Shrimpboy tubin' today, but should have some bad weather after Christmas to get me back to the creative bench.[/size]
[signature]
Hey good luck on the fishing trip w/ Shrimpboy. Can't wait to hear your report.
[signature]
Hey TD, I hope you catch some more kittys. Those were sure good that we had over there on Thanksgiving.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]UPDATE: Tried the new PVC rod holder on the water. It works fine, but I made it narrower than my previous 4 rod holder and the decreased distance between tubes made for some crowding of the reels. Had to do some jiggling and juggling to get the spinning and baitcasting reels to get along together.[/size]

[size 1]I just completed a horizontal rack (see new post), and my next project will be going for lightness...using schedule 20 and minimal pipe and fittings.[/size]
[signature]