Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boating Safety
On the Park sponsored theme this weekend concerning boat safety....About 2 weeks ago fishing out by Roatary Cove, I had just laid down a rod and as I stepped backwards on the front deck of the Skeeter, I felt my right foot begin to crush a tube of Yamamoto scent laying there. In an attempt to recover I unbalanced and went over backwards into the lake.

Being a poor swimmer I always wear a PFD; one of the inflatable Sospenders 38A models. Never live tested one before however. After the self inflation actuated I was able to calm down and recover my hat and dog paddle over to the back of the Skeeter. I held on to the steering tube while my partner used the trolling motor to get us shallow. We were in near the floating toilet and close to shore. I wasn't wearing shoes or sandals so that was a better alternative than using the tilt mechanism and anti-ventilation plate to boost myself back into the boat. That maneuver I have practiced. Without footwear you chance getting your foot cut on the prop or lower unit anti-ventilation plate.

So.... first time for uncontrolled dumping in over 30 years of boating in all kinds of conditions. Note to self: keep the PFD straps a little tighter. Carry a back up PFD. That ended our day cause I didn't have the spare onboard.
[signature]
That's scary, I think we all have those moments where we almost go in, just a fraction either way can make a difference. Thankfully you had a partner with you!!! One of the Striper Club guys fell off his little 10'er at night and couldn't climb back in, luckily another guy(club member) was close enough to hear his yelling and got over to help him.
[signature]
Though I don't care to have to "crawl" up the motor I did test it and can do it to get back onboard. I have been meaning to jump in the lake one of these years with my auto inflate just to see... Maybe this summer... If I am alone I am more prone to wear my auto inflate all day. If not then only when the big motor is running. Like most I have had a ton of my shares of "almost" went overboards since owning a boat. It will happen one of these days I am sure...
[signature]