Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Bear Lake?
Anybody had any success flinging flies at bear lake?

I made the attempt years ago when I was just beginning to fly fish (at the time, I didn't know how to fish anything but dries) and I didn't catch squat up there.

I'm guessing that you would need to go deep at Bear Lake. Maybe a deep nymphing rig, FlyGoddess?

I have a family reunion up there this summer and I'd love to get into some fish.

Any input appreciated.
[signature]
Hello,

I worked at Bear Lake for a number of years when it was just starting to be discovered by fly fishermen. Since then I have heard of fly anglers doing well fishing large streamers especially early in the morning or just at dusk. Some silver or gold flash in the streamers and stripping them back fast seems to help.

I have not talked to a large number of fly fishermen at Bear Lake over the years, but the few I have talked to prefer the east side of the lake.

Good Luck!

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resourcecs
[signature]
Large white streamers fished Texas rigged. Sounds silly, but it has worked wonders for me this year.

Also, the carp there are more than happy to slurp caddis or other dries when you find them grouped up and feeding. Excellent fight in the clear, wan water.
[signature]
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I won't be heading up unitl July, but I'm excited to throw my fly rod in with my stuff now.
[signature]
Never heard of the "texas rig."

Something like this, only with a fly?

http://www.learninghowtofish.com/media/r...gwhite.jpg
[signature]
Yes, exactly like that. A bullet weight gets the fly down in a hurry an gives an amazing action that is much different than a weighted fly or a split shot up above. It is my go to technique when I'm fishing deep on lakes. (it's awesome shallow too, of course)
[signature]
Do a search for posts made by Idaho Ron (I believe that's his name I could be wrong) he slays bear lake on the fly big time
[signature]
His name is not Idaho Ron..... Search Idaho forum,bear lake reports
[signature]
"wan water?" An interesting choice of adjectives, Dave. Not one I'd make for Bear Lake but interesting, nonetheless.
[signature]
I'm sure everyone thought I meant "clean", but they'd be wrong.
[signature]