Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cave Lake and Sunnyside 5/23-5/25
Made it up to Cave Lake Friday afternoon and got a campsite at Elk Flat. Between Friday afternoon/evening and Saturday afternoon I landed 70+ fish, 4 browns and the rest rainbows. Most of the rainbows were your stocker variety but the smaller ones had a more "native" color and pattering to them (stocked as fingerlings maybe???). Most fish were on a gold Thomas Buoyant but I got them on Roostertails, Kastmasters, minijigs, my first 2 fish on a fly rod and one scrappy brown on a CD-9.

Left Cave Lake at o' dark thirty Sunday morning and stopped by Sunnyside since I'd never been there either. One crappie and 5 respectable stockers at Cold Springs.

The man had a checkpoint set up on the way out of Sunnyside. I usually have an issue with any kind of checkpoint but was pretty exhausted and complied like a good little sheep. It was only my second encounter with a warden in NV and they are professional and friendly guys so I'm not crying for the 90 seconds of my life back...

Edit - I attached two pictures but they aren't showing up. I'm sure many have seen a 1lb brown trout and 9 inch crappie though!
Thanks for the report. Sometimes trying a different browser helps with uploading pictures. What was "the man" checking for?
[signature]
Limits and licenses. I'd rather see them out interacting with fisherpeople as opposed to setting up Checkpoint Charlie on the way out.
[signature]
Reference the "man" was the checkpoint or a actual roadblock like a dui checkpoint. Or was is it like they waved you over and just asked questions. Being Law Enforcement they must have probable cause to stop you, in other words they observed a violation of law. They can't stop you (you can't leave ) just to ask if you have a fishing license or to check your catch. If they do a consensual stop (they ask if they can talk to you) and you choose to talk to them) they still can't force you to show a fishing license or your catch just to check. If they see you fishing then they can ask and if you refuse to show the license they can cite you. I realize most people will comply and it is not a big deal to most. Just curious on what exactly the checkpoint was.
Cacoon
[signature]