Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery pack
[cool][size 2]Hi there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 2]I know that you have reviewed details of the type of battery that you are using for your Cuda 168. I believe it was the Cabella system with a charger. Do you still recommend that is the way to go?[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2040;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2041;]
[signature]
[cool][size 2]That was my first venture into the SLA battery program...about 4 years ago. I got two sets of batteries and chargers. I still have one of the batteries and one of the chargers. I mistakenly discarded one of the batteries when I thought it was defective. Turned out I had a cracked transducer. And, I would still have both chargers if I hadn't reversed the wires while charging a battery and cooked the charger.[/size]

[size 2]The only "downside is that 7.5 Amp battery is heavier than the little 6.0 Sony I use on the other tube. The problem is finding a cheap charger. Some battery places want more for their chargers than Cabelas wants for the combo package.[/size]

[size 2]The short answer is YES...that is a good buy.[/size]
[signature]
Hey there Dryrod, that is the same one that I bought. But I bought the package that TD said with the 2 batteries and 1 charger. It is only 49.00 at Cabelas. Really good deal. The extra battery is worth it's weight in gold especially for running the extra accessories.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]That's coming from a guy who is younger, stronger and more "accessory-oriented".[/size]

[size 1]I'm watching for him to finish his solar generator and storage battery deck.[/size]
[signature]
The extra battery does come in handy if one of your accesories is a small electric cart to haul the tube on because it is too heavy from all of the accessories.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Went to order a 12 volt battery from Cabellas. Unfortunately they are out of stock. Looked around the internet and found a battery made by Long available at Reedsports.com for $24.95 including the charger. Do you know any thing about this battery?[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2098;]

Aqua-Vu 12 volt, 7 amp gel cell battery w/charger

[size 6] [/size]

[size 6] [/size]

[size 3] [/size]
[signature]

Hey there TubeDude,

Does the 4' by 4' solar panel mounted on top of TubeN2's Dodgers baseball cap count for anything? Sorry, TubeN2, you might hate the Dodgers but I couldn't resist a little funny (I think) there!

You should never under-estimate the Tube-family in the 'tinkering where no man (or woman) has tinkered before' catagory.

Can't wait to fish with the Tube's Family (we should make a rap song parallel to the Addams Family version for the Tube Family) heh heh heh

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Dryrod, it looks identical to the Cabelas battery. My guess is that it might be made in the same factory in China...with a different label. Looks like a good deal.[/size]

[size 1]This time of year is subject to shortages and outages at your favorite online supplier. This is when they let the inventory run down for end of the year inventory taxes, etc. I usually wait until I get the new catalogs in January before I try to put together any sizeable orders.[/size]

[size 1]Did Santy bring your 168 EX?[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]So, you poke fun at the new PVC solar panel, huh. JR, you got no soul...or no imagination. (we both know that ain't true)[/size]

[size 1]I don't know about the family song idea. Especially the Adams Family thing. Maybe something along the lines of "Beverly Hillbillies". But, I'll be danged if'n I'm a gonna carry a banjo out on my tube to keep everyone entertained. I might consider carryin' a squirrel rifle, like Jed Clampett, to take potshots at PWC and water skiers.[/size]
[signature]
[Tongue][size 1]Hey TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]Yup, found my 168EX under the tree. Tried it out in the bathtub, however there must be an error in it's system. It only identified one liitle minnow![blush][/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]In shallow water (like a bathtub) you might have to hit the ZOOM feature to get a true reading on the size of the "minnow".[/size]

[size 1]Good luck on getting the battery and charger.[/size]

[size 1]Let me know if you need any more input when you get ready to put it all together.[/size]

[size 1]P.S. I am working on another version of the most recent horizontal rodrack. I am going to use 45 degree elbows, instead of 90 degree elbows, and have the horizontal rack slant up at an angle...with holder pockets tilted accordingly. I will also be using about 20 % less PVC, so the weight should drop to under 2 pounds. (That comes after I finish painting and tieing some ice fishing jigs for some "field testers" in Utah.)[/size]
[signature]
just curious , would a 12 volt cordless drill battery be more compact to use and weigh less ?
[signature]
[cool][size 1]12 volts is 12 volts. The variables are how many amp hours will it store...which translates into how long will it run your sonar or other goodies. The 7.5 amp battery will run a sonar that pulls 1/2 amp per hour for 15 hours...theoretically. A 3 amp battery would only run it for about 6 hours...but it would work fine.[/size]

[size 1]The weight of the battery is usually reflective of how much juice it can store.[/size]
[signature]
I have used 14.4V batteries in the past, and I wasn't all that impressed with their performance. Of course I have a high powered sonar unit, so that really sucked up the juice. They would only last about 2.5-3.5 hrs, and even less in the cold. I would defenitely spend the money on the bigger units. I have seen smaller 4Ah gel cell batteries on the web. They are about the same price as the 7.5s, but they are almost 1/2 the size. They would probably be good for around 6-10 hrs of fishing, depending on the type of sonar you are running.
[signature]
I have the 7.5ah battery myself. Fortunately my fishfinder only draws 1/4 amp. That leaves a little power for other accessories. But even my portable dvd doesn't eat up too much power. The thing that gets me though is when I accidently leave the fog lights on instead of the normal running lights when I come into the shore relieve myself.
[signature]