Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon Motor Mount
I've had issues with my trolling motor's torque pulling it up and almost off the mount (see the scratch marks above the holes).

I determined to solve this issue after helping a person in a swamped kayak. I was on the one-man NFO Predator, so when the guy (who was a little panicked) grapped the side of the 'toon, it almost went over sideways and almost tossed the motor into the water. Before I could head back to shore, I had to turn around and refasten the motor. If the motor had come off, we both would have been in trouble.

Anyway, took a 1.75" hole cutter and then chiseled and Dremeled out the center so that MinnKotta motor mounts screw into holes. That should minimize any shifting of the motor.

[inline "Pontoon Motor Mount.jpg"]
[signature]
Good solution!
[signature]
Interesting problem and solution. Can't say I have ever had the same problem, even with the 5hp gas.
Where there is a problem you get great solutions K.
[signature]
That's pretty sharp thinking. Nice job.
[signature]
I haven't had any problem with mine.
BUT, Trex is slick, and non-compressing, so I can see where no matter how tight you screw the motor down, it could loosen up and start to walk out of the mount. Another solution would be to attach some 1/4"-3/8" plywood to the Trex and that would give the motor thumb screws something to bite into.
Excellent solution you came up with, Kevin. BTW, where did you get the aluminum braces. I like those.
[signature]
Didn't know that about Trex and thanks for suggestion on plywood. I've had same issue with the standard NFO motor mount, but I'll just screw some plywood on it.

Pickup up aluminum brackets off Amazon.

[inline Capture.JPG]
[signature]