[Image: IMG_1647_zps357d3fb3.jpg]
[Image: June1_zpsd6679c4b.jpg]
[Image: June2_zps4cc4174a.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1646_zpsb3feddde.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1643_zpsfba1c980.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1640_zps4ca8d796.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1628_zpsc4d82bde.jpg]
[signature]
I bet that was a battle on fly gear. that's a plump one.
[signature]
I know, right! The scales come off once in awhile and I feel like ghetto Tarpon...LOL
[signature]
HA HA HA, you said ghetto tarpon. [Smile]
[signature]
I went out Saturday for an hour and landed a couple, missed a couple and had one break off.
I went out Sunday for an hour, and same story except the third fish landed had the fly I lost the day before!
[Image: IMG_1662_zps6bb4813b.jpg]

And on occasion, a Mirror shows up and they definitely fight harder than a Common
[Image: IMG_1670_zps63e9a623.jpg]
[signature]
So - is that the same carp, just getting 'er from all angles? Little modeling shoot.

Speaking of shoot - had a chance to try alternative carp fishing methods yet?
I tell you what I want to do. I know a pond where some humungo Japanese Grass Carp are and I want to target them. I'm no fly angler, so that's out. But I know they would be a ride. Normally i'm targeting LMB in these ponds, but i'd love to hook up one of those 4' long grass carp. What kind of tactics do I need to use? I know normal offerings are not effective for this type of carp, through trial and error. [laugh] It will have to be something tempting to them, because there is plenty of natural forage for them to eat. So, what is a grass carps favorite desert? How do I present it with light weight spinning tackle?
[signature]
I have no idea on gear. I know with Grass Carp, a fly that represents grass, or the one I use looks like an egg or olive, plus SJW. The Dog Biscuit fly for top action, but Elk Hair caddis works too.
I have thrown larger articulated flies but end up with LM

Wooly bugger and worm work too.
[signature]
Dang. So what you're saying is, I should have taken up fly fishing years ago when you offered lessons? [bobhappy]
[signature]
Pretty much![Wink][laugh] But you can "fish a fly" . People do it all the time, with their choice of gear.
[signature]
nice fish. never had the pleasure to land a carp on a fly rod. What wt do you normally use? biggest I own is an 8. I have some "carp" flies laying around from orvis. Hopefully I'll get out soon.
[signature]
I use a fast 6wt and a Cabela's 8 wt. I am having a special Carp rod built that will be 6/7wt. and 7'9" long.
I wouldn't try smaller than a 6 although it can be done.
There is a lot of grass growing in the river so an 8wt is real nice when pulling in a Carp and salad.
[signature]
That there is a new one.. I like to call them the poor mans tarpon[Smile]. When going for carp,try getting them to eat "chum em up" ,once you get them to feed you got the upper hand

If spooky try an ultra light for them w/ 4-6 lb test ,a fly hook or eagle claw size 6
[signature]
I'd do the same if I was a carp[blush]
[signature]