Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5hp Briggs and Stratton Outboard
My motor is fine at idle and will run at idle (moving a little faster than trolling speed). When I go to gas it up it will die. I have messed with my tuning screw on the carburetor but nothing I do has seemed to help. It is air cooled and is a 4 stroke. If any one has any tips let me know? Or where to start. I am thinking of possibly doing a rebuild on the carburetor.
[signature]
Been running ethanol? If so a carb rebuild should get you back up and running.
[signature]
Briggs and Stratton brings back fond memories of go carts and mini bikes as a teenager. B&S engine use a diaphragm on the carburator that after a while becomes dried out and stiff and I would suspect that's your problem. Search for "briggs and stratton diaphragm replacement" on youtube and see if there is a how-to that's similar to your model of engine. Good Luck!
[signature]
Do you run SeaFoam in your Fuel?
[signature]
I have ran SeaFoam before when I first had this problem. Didn't help much. I think it is the diaphragm and ordered a new one to see if that will help out. Did a search and found a guy had the same problem and changed his diaphragm and it helped so thanks for the tips. If it doesn't help I guess I will try a carb rebuild.
[signature]