Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backing Overnight in the Uintas
Delement87 and I had both never camped away from the car in the Uintas before, so when life's obligations finally gave us a window......we took the oppertunity to go backpacking.

The trip could not have gotten off to a better start (or should I say stop).

[Image: IMG_8276_zps572d042d.jpg]

Thankfully fluids were brought and cars can cool down with time. When we were getting close to our starting point we met a Forest Service worker who (with the fly on his zipper down) told us, "you boys aren't from around here, the weather changes fast up here, there was snow just last week, and be sure to watch out for the Albino Moose up there".

Soon the car was ditched and we took a road less traveled.
[Image: IMGP0754_zps9641cdb9.jpg]

The lake sure was pretty!
[Image: IMG_8282_zpsd65d229e.jpg]

Camp was established.
[Image: IMG_8290_zps6b6ad141.jpg]

And before we knew it we were getting into some chunky Artic Grayling.
[Image: IMG_8394_zps02a6f4be.jpg]

It was just one after another with these guys.

[Image: IMG_8308_zps409620e6.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8410_zps84a8f746.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8374_zps3543b86f.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8451_zps7cc8f5f5.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8337_zpse7ec05b2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8436_zps7a819b2d.jpg]

The bendo shot.

[Image: IMG_8352_zpsc2c47dfd.jpg]

The fly reel and grayling shot.
[Image: IMG_8335_zps710a9418.jpg]

The DuckDog1us shot [Wink]

[Image: IMG_8505_zpsf7f9c694.jpg]

The sunset shot.

[Image: IMG_8465_zps03ef3ddd.jpg]

The fire shot.

[Image: IMGP0739_zps6abfe6b6.jpg]

Early morning rewards.

[Image: IMG_8476_zps3da581af.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8488_zps4da13f6b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8496_zps560bfd1f.jpg]

By the time we were leaving I had a new "life's motto" and that is.........

"Always take the road less traveled"

[Image: IMGP0759_zps2635d07c.jpg]
Looks like a great trip and those are some decent grayling.
[signature]
I must say you took some great photos,those fish are absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing. Thats one fish i still need to get off my bucket list.
[signature]
sweet trip!
[signature]
Superb Post and excellent photos as usual. I was surprised how little snow there was were you camped. I figured there would still be a foot or so up that way.

We are doing the Boulders this week, and then look out Grayling. Your post got me excited for some Uintas Action. Can't wait.

Thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Nice report and awesome pics. Did you guys eat any of the grayling? I've always wondered how they taste.
[signature]
Love your post, great story as usual. Nice fish too. Thanks J
[signature]
I will repeat what the others have said since its true, greats photos like always and thanks for sharing. looks like a fun trip
[signature]
Pretty good grayling! Nice pics and report.

Sorry the car had issues.
[signature]
Great post! I've never caught a grayling before. I'm going to have to make an effort to do that this year.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Nice report and awesome pics. Did you guys eat any of the grayling? I've always wondered how they taste.[/quote]

Thanks WH2

We were planning on throwing a few Grayling on the fire......but Delement fell alseep before it got dark....and I was busy trying to complete camp chores (collecting firewood, filtering lots of water, hanging the backpack, ect) before it got too dark. A couple of shots of 92% proof Sailor Jerry may have had an influence too.

Oh well.....there is always next time[cool]
[signature]
[quote LOAH]Pretty good grayling! Nice pics and report.

Sorry the car had issues.[/quote]

Thanks for the comments LOAH.

There was no radator fan, so slow going overheated the car. The timing was perfect. When we stopped and popped the hood, my dad texted to me, "how's the car holding up"? I sent him a pic of us stopped with the hood up and said, "No biggy, just a little overheated, appearently this happens to him all the time".

I am surprised you don't get out and backpack a ton LOAH......I am just getting into it and I can already say that I have a full blown addiction! Looking forward to more trips this summer!
[signature]
Nice grayling[cool].
Looks like a fun trip for sure, thanks for the report.
[signature]