Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raft fishing?
I am thinking about getting me a small raft (apparently the smallest is 2 person, even though I'm not much bigger than a whole one!). It seems I have more luck catching from in the middle of waters than I do on shore. Obviously 'tubes and pontoons (and of course boats!) work fine, but I have never seen anybody fish from a raft.

Is this a decently practical vessel? Or would it be too unsteady (especially when landing fish) and cumbersome?

P.S. I don't want float tube as then I have to also buy waders...trying to keep my spending under $50, including the air pump! Plus, I'm a physical wimp...couldn't be kicking around for much more than 5 minutes or so before I get tuckered out. Heck, I'll have a challenge just rowing as it is! (but my arm muscles are pretty good, since I scoop cat litter every day...and not just one box, more like two dozen!)
[signature]
I had one of the small Sevylor 2 man rafts. Smaller is not better. They are unstable and difficult to row.
They do require both hands most the time leaving hands free for fishing limited.
Your budget is very low, so I say good luck.
As far as raft fishing, it is fun. Once you get it down, you can anchor, use a drift sock, electric motor....just like a regular boat.
With your budget I would still opt for maybe neoprene waders, and a Donut tube.
[signature]
Thanks!

The waters I plan on going aren't very big anyway. Community ponds and the small bays at Willard. I figured I could row out to the middle area then stay put/anchored and use my hands for fishing rather than moving all the time.

I still have to look into everything more, of course. I guess there are tiny motors for little crafts, as I swear I saw a little motor on one of TubeDude's pictures of a 'tube! That would save me physical energy... but how to power it? Would I need a lawnmower battery or somethin'?
[signature]
Your budget for this boat will not allow you to get enough quality to be safe in my opinion. You're going to end up with a pool toy. You don't have the money in the budget for a motor and a battery but if you did you shouldn't even think about adding them to a pool toy. That would not be safe.
You should think about trying to get a smoking deal on a pontoon. I got one for 50 bucks. I had to sew on new straps but other than that is has been a great boat and I still use it all the time. Ron
[signature]
"pool toy"! That's exactly what I was thinking!

Can float tubes be inflated on site, or do you have to transport them already blown up? This is my main issue, really...space. If I can have it deflated and rolled up to fit in the trunk or back seat, that would be nifty!
Do they even make waders for kids? Cuz that's what I'll need. I'm only 5'0" and 80 lbs...I know 10 year olds bigger than me!

Maybe I need to up my budget after all. I guess I can save up and wait for all this next year *impatient!*
[signature]
All float tubes can be blown up on site. That would be your safest way to go. You can get a used one for a great price and they don't take up any space deflated. ROn
[signature]
I forgot to add yes they do have waders for kids. I have a set that are that size I have for kids I take fishing. ROn
[signature]
Check KSL Classifieds every day. Waders and tubes/toons are often on there for a good price. I've seen waders sell for less than $20 and a couple old tubes for $25. When things on ksl are cheap they usually go fast so check it often. It may take some time but a deal you cant resist will come up.
Drew
[signature]
Most tubes can be inflated on site. Pool toys could be inflated by mouth. Float Tube with Vinyl bladder you will need a cheap K-Mart double action pump. But, some float tubes are car tires. Need special pump like a bicycle or one at a gas station.
Remember you are working with hooks and spines.
Also, motors that you are talking about start at $99.. Then add battery with the cheapest also being very big and very heavy. Then you must license them every year.

Again, I say the cheapest but SAFEST route would be a Donut tube and Neoprene waders.
[signature]
Yeah, I'll need an electric pump that plugs into the car dash. I have lung problems, ain't no way I can blow up a tube myself! (heck, I get woozy just blowing up my little bath pillow for a bubble bath!)
[signature]
I have a set of extra waders give to me years ago. I will pass them on to you free of charge as well.
[signature]