Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie question
Hi everybody.. Im a new fisherman. I also like to stretch out my gear, mix and match stuff. Right now i have a eagle claw trailmaster 6'6" with 14lb line wt. now, i want to get into pier and surf fishing. So here is my train of thought, i am thinking of getting the okuma longitude 8' rod w/ 30lb line wt. paired with the okuma avenger baitfeeder abf50 w/ 15lb line wt.
My question is, can i load the reel w/ a 30lb braided line so i can use it with the okuma longtitude and with the spare spool, load a 12lb mono for the eagle claw trailmaster? Can the abf50 handle a 30lb line for pier and shore fishing?
[signature]
Okuma is a really reliable fishing reel. I use them for guiding cat fishing trips in the spring and early summer. I pair up a 9' ugly stick with the Okuma Avenger ABF 40 with 14 lb mono. I prefer mono to braided as vegetation seems to stick to braid easier than mono. Okuma has a very smooth drag and the ABF 40 bait feed is great for bottom dead bait for cats. I know that braided line is high lb test strength with small diameter, so my guess is that for surf and pier fishing your gear should be fine. I have a couple ABF 50 that I use for striper fishing and they work awesome with the bait feed alarm for live baiting for striper or blue fish. But if you go off shore you should step it up for size and strength or you'll get broke off maybe even snap rods that are good for surf. Good luck this season and post some pics on this thread when you catch some saltwater fish with your set up.

Whitetail Strategies Guide Service
Fred Scott Owner/Head Guid

Edit: links are not allowed for new members, see the FAQ above for the rules of the site. Also, advertisement is not allowed unless you pay for that right.
[signature]