Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy, How about some Ice Fishing mext month?
Windy,
What do you think about heading up to Indian Lake after we get some hard water to play? I think we would have a blast up there. Let me know if you are interested. Probly will be around the end of January before the ice will be safe.
[signature]
ddor, Just tell me when and I'll dig out the gear. I never turn down an invite if I can possibly go. Whq else could you get on a minutes notice to go to Texas for one night of fishing? By the way don't we have another trip planned sometime this next month?
[signature]
Trip to the gulf coast of Texas is out for the moment but hope to set one up for this summer. As for a trip this next month I need to get with Lonehunter and Davetclown on a possable trip up to Michigon. I will let you know how that is going as soon as they get back to me.
[signature]
I'm ready. I was uplate last night and ran the TV channels. I watched the technic of some eskimos ice fishing with nets. I was really neat and quite an education. wish you could have seen it. Yhey had a board that was built to travel under the ice for some distance and then they cut another hole brought up the board and had a long rope to set the het. No shack to keep warm for those guys. They built an igloo on the ice. Maybe not good for Ohio but interesting snyway.
[signature]
An Alasken trip is out of the Question Windy! neather you or I can aford a trip like that. Shure would be nice to try my skills on some of them great Habilett up there some day tho. We need to hope for the ice around here to build and get safe to walk on. I went up north yesterday and saw many of the small lakes starting to show signs of hard water is on its way but nothing safe to venture out on yet. I made it up to the north west around Sidny. Did notice that Indian Lake is still open water and not looking like it is going to ice over for a while. You have a great day Windy and will keep you posted if any Ice develops around home.
[signature]
me three, wouldn't that be nice, lounge around on a cruse ship for a week up there, then hop off at one of the small towns for a week and hook in to one of them big Alaskan salmon. then hop on a slow boat back....

yep one can dream,....

you realy have to watch the lakes this year with the temps holding above 32 for most of the season. it will make ice, but nothing you want to walk on. It looks like if the temps holds I will be getting on my lake for the first time since last march. st patties day as a matter of fact. that was the last day I ice fished last year.

the smaller lakes around the area have shaped up, but I have no intrest in fishing on them. the news reports on the tube says tha most of the lakes in the area are not safe eather.

ya know I have not fished for 2 1/2 months now. good thing I put away some gills this summer. about 30 pounds of filletts. I go through about 10 pounds per month. dont look like I will have any spare gills to give away this spring. mi jigging hand is getting a bit shaky,

I have held off geting my ice rods ready, I will be putin the new line on wensday night.

I got the realestate man working on my house now. he has been getting calls already. Tennesse here I come.. . woo hoo... no more ice fishing, but I get to chace chinckens all winter, I can live with that.
[signature]
My offer still stands Dave,
when you are ready to shed that mitten for them rolling hils of Tennasee just holler at me and I will be there to lend a hand in getting you transplanted.
I have to agree that it is not looking good for walking on ice this year down here eather. But we are having a day or two now and then that the sun shines and the wind is down so we can still hit the water and play around awhile with the gill and anything else that decides to come along.
I hope you can get som hard ice to walk on soon. Keep us posted on you quest for safe ice.
[signature]
Dave, Don't get rid of your ice rigs just because you move to Tennesse. I've been down there when I drove a truck and seen 4 times as much ice as I saw in Ohio. North Carolina also gets some really nasty winter storms from time to time.
[signature]
I will take you up on that once I get every thing set in tennesse all set.

I wont be in as far outback as you, but it is a pretty ride through the mountains.

I got out on the lake today and found 5 inches of ice. I will be on it most of the days for the next 4 days. I will be checking in every night so ya know it wasnt me falling in.
[signature]
I am with ya on that one windy,

I think I will be holding on to my ice fishing stuff for a while yet. never know what may come up in the cumberland region. last spring they still had snow when I was digging my garden here in MI.
[signature]
In 1992 we went tp South Carolina and could not get back across North Carolina and back to Knoxville for six days. There were people stranded on the interstate that long. When we finslly got back to Ohio through many mounds of snow it was 70 degrees here. You never can predict weather. Right now ut doesn't look like there will be any ice fishing in this area for quite a while. We are getting a lot of cold weather but the days in between keep the lakes above freezing except a fine skim of ice.
[signature]
where I am we have only 0 - 5 inches of ice.

being that it is mid Jan you may not have any ice this year.

we have had only 2 days of 0* temps, far below normal. we should have had a couple more by now. they keep saying we hare having a normal winter, seems a little on the high side to me. I am used to seeing a foot of snow in november.
[signature]
Hey SSor

I'm going to the Gulf caost in Texas this summer will be staying in Sea Isle for 3 weeks its a long drive from New Jersey we are going to stop in Memphis on the way and see Graceland then on to texas for some fishing I have a few friends there we are planning some trips out in the gulf for snapper and since the house I'm renting is on the beach I will be fishing the surf everyday for the usual suspects specks reds and in the bay wade fishing for floundergotta make a trip to the Galveston pier too maybe get my first Bull Red
[signature]
It is hard to find a better area to fish than the Texas coastline. I will probly not make my trip untill around October this year. Went in April last year and had a great time for 2 full weeks.
I have a cottage down on the north end of Padre Island (Mustang Island) at Port Aransas. You should check this area out as there is some of the best fishing of all kinds in this area of the Texas Coastline. Great locals and accomadations. The eaterys are hard to pass up around there as they put their hearts in to what they cook.
Keep us posted on your time line and locations. You might want to have a look at the Texas board as there are some events that might interest you posted there.
[signature]
Hey Dave, When have we ever had a normal winter? Do you really believe the weather men? I often think they are guessing every year. The squirrels give better predictions than people do. The squirrels tell methat we are to have a long winter not necessarily a really badone but the growing season, at least in this area will be late to begin. They have stored an abundance of nuts but they are hidden in plaqces that could not be used if there was a lot of ice or snow. Now squirrels like to eat and place their food in places they can reach easily. Last year most of thier storage was well above ground in trees. This year I have found staches in dug out holes. To methis is a better prediction than TV gives. As far as a normal winter it is far different than when I was a kid. Then you could count on at least 4-6 inches of snow by Thanksgiving and the pond frozen by then until thru the Feb. thaw. At school our fox and hounds pattern was in place before Thansgiving and we never had to make a new one, just scrap out new snow. I can not remember any time during the 1940's that was any different except one year 46, I think we had a freak tornado about a week before Christmas and that still did not make any difference in the snow and ice. What do you think, is anything normal?
[signature]
as a kid from 4-20 I can remember only a couple christmases with out snow. one was bitter cold and the other was 75 degrees.

for the rest of the time I remember at least a foot of snow by christmas. I know because I had to walk 2 miles back and forth to school in it, up hill both ways and bare foot [Tongue]

ok that last part is a bit out of line ma made us wear them rubber boots with 50 buckles that took 10 minutes to buckle up when ever we wanted to go out side. rain or snow, it did not matter. the kids school lockers was full of rubber boots every summer, every one would conveinantly forget to bring them home and by summer break ma's would have forgotten all about them all together.[sly] not that they would fit any way, but the thought of having to pass them on to the yunger brothers and sisters the following years and reminding the ma's about them rubbers every year and we would end up with a new pare was unthinkable.

ok so there was no comspericy, but still the same they did get left behind. but when the insulated snowmobile boots came out that sure changed the way boots were left behind, about never, we wore them out every year. got pleanty of milage out of them puppy lofers[laugh]

I do agree with you about them weatherman, I have been watching them every year since I was 4 and we had a tube. (had to, no choice, dad wanted to watch the news) we had a local weatherman back then who will never be replaced. his name is "sunny eliot" no one ever cared if he was right or wrong. well when he predicted snow we got it. and how......!

as for this being a hard winter, it is a matter of perspective. in my case yes it has been a hard winter. no ice to go fishing on, now that's hard to handle. 2 and a 1/2 months with out wetting a line.

I got on the lake yesterday and brought in half dozen gills and a crappie, I did pull in a 15 inch largmouth bass on a 2 pound test line on a number #8 hook. took me every bit of 5 minutes to land him (or should I say Ice him [Tongue]) he was released un harmed after being admired for about 15 seconds. good and boy was he a fatty!

I was going to go today, but opted out because of too much sunshine. been cooped up so long to much sun can blind a man. tomarow will be overcased, I will hit the lake then.
[signature]
Dave, I always knew you were a youngster. Until I was 14 we watched the radio. I had seen a little screen about 8 inch two years before that but reception was so bad I was happy to stay around the brown box in the living room. We finally got a TV one week before the Thanksgiving blizzard of 1950. I used the week of forced vacation from high school watching the tube. Now you know just how old this old gal is. That is a few extra years of fishing experience.
[signature]
lol, I guess I dated my self....[angelic]
[signature]