Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What type of fish is this?
I just caught this fish and I was wondering what it is. I thought it looked like a mixture between a bass and a bluegill. I sent the pictures to my friend and he said it was a "croppy". I know of crappie but is croppy even a real name of a fish? Anyway, what type of fish is this? It sort of looks like a bluegill but it has a bigger mouth like a bass. I caught it with one of those topwater frogs (scum frog poppers which I highly recommend) which are for bass.
[signature]
Welcome to the site Nick, that fish is no crappie and yes there is a fish called a crappie. How long was it and what state did you catch it in?
WH2
[signature]
[#0000FF]Pretty sure it is a green sunfish. Lots of members of the sunfish family. That one has a bigger mouth than bluegill and is often very aggressive. It is also a pretty good sized specimen. What area or what state did it come from?

In many parts of the country those green sunfish are locally called rock bass.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm not sure of the size, but I caught it in this random unstocked pond in my neighborhood in northern Illinois.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I did a quick search on green sunfish in Illinois and it looks like they are common throughout the state. As in most states they average about a half foot in size but the Illinois state record is over 2#.

[url "http://www.ifishillinois.org/species/GSF.php"]HERE'S A LINK[/url]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT! Definitely has the green subfish markings on it. Nice catch.[cool]
[signature]
That's one fat Sunfish! Nice Catch
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
a Warmouth is more likely to take a frog..

[Image: warmouth2.jpg]
[signature]
Nice catch. Is it the same fish?

It seems sunfish to me.
[signature]