Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorge 7-19 & 7 -20
We fished out of Buckboard Sat. and Sun. near Breeze hill area. We found kokes all over the water column, with the larger ones 60-65 ft. as been reported before. Wife and I were able to catch lots in the over 3 lb. class. We used Kokanee Creek dodgers and squids... the best for us was the pearl squid with a small spinner. Also pink worked well as always. Best speed seemed to be 1.4 -1.6 mph Wife caught a 4.7 lb. koke, my best was 4.0. It was a great weekend with only late afternoon wind from the thunder storms. Sunday after we got off the water a rainstorm came thru Buckboard that was as strong as any I've seen anywhere. Anyone out on the water would certainly challenge my statement about it being a nice weekend.
[signature]
Nice report and pics Gary, those are some huge kokes, they make the 3 lbers I caught at Strawberry look like babies. Did those big ones give you and your wife a good fight?
[signature]
Yea Curt, the big one the wife caught weighed 4.7 and jumped 4 or 5 times...I never thought we would get it in the net. Most of the others just bored for the bottom. Lots of fun.
[signature]
Gary you have them Kokes dialed in for sure. Looks you your wife had a very rewarding trip. Ohhhhh I do have those canning jars and rings just waiting to be filled. Haha...one day I'll have to talk partner into us going out your way to take you up on your gorge offer for sure.
[signature]
K2, when you bottle Kokes, do you bottle with skin and scales?
[signature]
I didn't can them Gary and his wife did and they didn't have scales or skin and they were absoultely delicious...Gary want to give up your secret Koke canning receipe...[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
[quote wyoguy]Yea Curt, the big one the wife caught weighed 4.7 and jumped 4 or 5 times...I never thought we would get it in the net........[/quote]

That's awesome! Great fish Wyoguy.
[signature]
Hey Gary great report, thanks for a great story. Sure hope I can find time and talk my Dad into that trip this summer. Thanks for the motivation. Jeff
[signature]
Sorry it took so long to reply West fork, been fishing. PM me if your interested in canned fish recipe.
[signature]
I also fished the Gorge that weekend and did great. We used kokanee creek tackle, crawdad squid, purplesquid and the pearl white one wyoguy mentioned. Limited out in three hours nothing less than three pounds. Fished 55feet to 70 feet. Tried for the small mouth but cant seem to land any. Oh ya Uncle WyoGuy I know you huys catch good kokes every weekend but you could Smile in your pics.
[signature]
Nice catch! Thanks for posting. Good pics, but some Smiles would make them a bit more fun.

When we can our salmon we use a pressure canner. Do you?

Once we finally got a good recipe figured out we've never bought a can of tuna from the grocery store again. If anyone wants to try our recipe PM us.

We also have a good recipe for some fresh fillets. Everyone so far has loved them cooked this way - so let us know if you'd like to give it try as well.

Thanks again for sharing.
[signature]
NICE fish Gary!
When is the best time to troll up a big red hookjaw?
Art's stuff sure worked good at the Berry and Fish Lake but I really miss those Gorge fish.
[signature]
Shane, some of the males are starting to hook now, but they won't get real red 'til the last two weeks in August.
[signature]