Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard, no water just tickets
Heard from my son today who is up camping at willard bay. Said they were trying to make up the state financial shortage again today by leaving tickets on the boat trailers that don't have registrations on them. Both single and double axils. If that isn't enough fun, a couple folks backed down to close to the bouys and got their trailers off the wheels and onto the axils. Anyone need any rubber there should be pleanty going up the ramp by the scrapes made by the axils trying to get the trailers back on two wheels. I hope tube dude doesn't get grounded launching his houseboat......Thought ya ought to know
[signature]
I got a ticket my self today pretty Sad that's how they treat guests. I've had the trailer for 15 years and never licensed it oh well all good things come to an end.
[signature]
Looks like they changed the law on use single axel trailer owners this year.

http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-by-type/low...iform-fees

I would fight the ticket and pay the registration fee.
[signature]
A few year's back when I picked a new(to me) trailer for my boat, I took the boat and trailer to the DMV. The nice lady came out to verify the VIN/HIN on both(whole other story with a pre 1972 boat). Anyway, they transferred the title to the trailer but would not register it. At that time any trailer under 1000# was exempt from registration. As of today on the DMV website states 750#. also just found another section that says all outboards over 25 hp 1985 or newer must be titled but not registered each year.

General Information
Every trailer operated in Utah, weighing more than 750 lbs, must be titled and registered. Each trailer owner must pay a registration fee at the time of initial registration and annually thereafter. [url "http://dmv.utah.gov/trailers?id=227:uniform-fees&catid=35"][#006633]Uniform fees [/#006633][/url]also apply.
Requirements for Titling:
[ul][li][url "http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-services-menu/titles"][#006633]Title[/#006633][/url][/li][li][url "http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-656.pdf"][#006633]Form TC-656 "Utah Title Application"[/#006633][/url][/li][li]Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) inspections, if being titled in Utah for the first time. See [url "http://tax.utah.gov/forms/current/tc-661.pdf"][#006633]Form TC-661 "Certificate of Inspection"[/#006633][/url]. (New trailers sold by a Utah dealer are exempt)[/li][li]At least one person whose name will appear on new title[/li][/ul] Requirements for Registration:
[ul][li]Payment of age-based [url "http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-by-type/low-speed-vehicles/227-uniform-fees"][#006633]uniform fee[/#006633][/url][/li][li]Payment of [url "http://dmv.utah.gov/vehicles-services-menu/titles/sales-and-use-tax"][#006633]registration fees[/#006633][/url] [/li][/ul] Exemptions to Registration:
[ul][li]Owned and operated by non-residents of Utah[/li][li]Owned and operated by the United States government[/li][li]Weighs less than 750 lbs[/li][/ul]
[signature]
"I hope tube dude doesn't get grounded launching his houseboat......Thought ya ought to know"

[#0000FF]Hey, thanks for the headsup. I'll be sure to launch with my Humvee so I can take it out to deeper water and then make it back in.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
As usual, you make some damned good points Bob. So I suppose this applies to ALL trailers, not just boat trailers? Like my OLD Ford pickup bed trailer for hauling crap?

But your question about "burden of proof" - that's a biggie. I mean seriously - for those of us (many) that have some ancient boat/trailer - how do they expect us to do that? Is there a weigh station where you can have your boat hoisted off the trailer to weigh it?
My boat doesn't have a title, or even one of those "tags" specifying it's compliance numbers (weight limits, et all). The VIN is literally scratched by hand on the back of the boat.
Are we expected to go launch somewhere, leave the boat, drive to a weigh station, pay whatever fee, then go retrieve the boat (minus battery/motor/fishfinder/ and any other tempting tidbits some sludge decides to liberate!).
I'm not a hugely strong buy, but if I can lift my trailer off the ground - with the boat on it, um - Lou Ferrigno I am not, so I think that alone should be proof of weight limits.

I think you're right they are playing the gamble that most folks will buckle and pay, or pay the additional tax for usage. I just fed up where everything goes up except my paycheck!
It's probably tied to Obama's Affordable health care (I'm expecting someone to claim!).
[quote CoyoteSpinner]Are we expected to go launch somewhere, leave the boat, drive to a weigh station, pay whatever fee, then go retrieve the boat (minus battery/motor/fishfinder/ and any other tempting tidbits some sludge decides to liberate!).[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Yep; that's about it. [crazy][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That's actually a whole new question: Does "trailer weight" refer to JUST the trailer itself, or does it include the "contents"? I don't have a copy of the law to read, so I can't tell.

Would it be possible at Willard to launch and have a buddy fish or mind the boat while the driver runs up to the state weigh station just north of there? And do state weigh stations even provide this service? If not, then that burden of proof thing is going to be hard for the State to defend.
[signature]
The State weigh scales may or may not weigh your trailer for you. But you can take the trailer to the Flying J Truck Stop near the North WB entrance, park the trailer on the scales, unhook and move he tow vehicle off, get a certified weight of just the trailer printed out, and hook back up and be on your way. Not sure what it costs to do that now days, been about 16 years since I drove a big rig.
Might be a good idea to do sometime during the week with a fishing buddy. Launch at the north marina, get the trailer weighed, go back and get some fishin done. Week day mornings should be light traffic at the truck stop scales and low to no traffic at the boat launch.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Most CAT scales are charging $10 these days for a weight cert.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I believe the bluegill government just want to nibble a little more of your worm.
[signature]
If I had a trailered boat I think I'd do as described and then leave the trailer cert sheet on the dash, along with my park pass and mussel cert. (Gonna look like a messy desk up there pretty soon.)
[signature]
When I registered my new to me boat this year,the lady at the DMV suggested that I get plates for the trailer.
She said that if I took my boat out of state that I would need to have the trailer registered as well as my boat.
I went ahead and did both.
Now I'm happy that I did. I want to go to Willard tomorrow.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]That's actually a whole new question: Does "trailer weight" refer to JUST the trailer itself, or does it include the "contents"? I don't have a copy of the law to read, so I can't tell.

Would it be possible at Willard to launch and have a buddy fish or mind the boat while the driver runs up to the state weigh station just north of there? And do state weigh stations even provide this service? If not, then that burden of proof thing is going to be hard for the State to defend.[/quote]

The Flying J is your best bet to have your trailer weighed, I dove over to the State weight station just North of Willard a month ago or so and the guy working there said he would not weigh it. He was also his opinion that the law is for the weight of the boat not the trailer but in reading what it says in the rules, it sounds like it is the trailer. IMO, we pay too many taxes as it is and I for one will fight it rather than pay, unless I find out for sure that I'm required to pay because my trailer is over 750 lbs. I think the deciding factor is the size of the boat on the trailer. It makes since to me that an 18 ft single axle boat trailer will weight more because it supports more weight than say a 16 ft boat trailer but that is just my opinion. I think I'll send an Email to the park manager of Willard and see what his thoughts are.
[signature]
Curt, if it were me, I'd get a weight sheet from the FlyJ. Just the trailer (and if I wanted to be sure, I'd remove a few nonessentials like fenders, chains and the jack. Just sayin') and have that sheet with me when I went to contest the ticket. And the first thing I'd do is ask how the officer determines trailer weight.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]I believe the bluegill government just want to nibble a little more of your worm.[/quote] you are very wise that is exactly the reason there is steeped up enforcement . we have to keep feeding the insatiable beast of government
[signature]
the law is for the weight of the trailer empty. I have been skirting the law for years. time to pay the piper
[signature]
There may be an easier way.

If you have a common trailer, like a Dilly, E-Z Loader, Shore-lander or other common trailer, just go to their website, look up the trailer you have and get the shipping weight from the specs.

I looked up the Shore-lander for my 19' Bayliner and found out that it only weighs 705 lbs. That is with a 3,400 lb carrying capacity.

[url "http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/t_specs.aspx?type=boat&productID=832"]http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/t_specs.aspx?type=boat&productID=832[/url]

I would think that a page of specs provided by the manufacturer would suffice against an officers guess. At a minimum, having the spec sheet would shift the burden of proof to the state to dispute what the manufacturer states.
[signature]
Good starting place, thanks for the idea, if that doesn't work, then I can weigh it[Wink].
[signature]
Hmm well my trailer is deifinitely more than 12 yrs old, especially since it has a 1967 Renkin sitting on it.

I did find a builder plate. It says Green Manfufacturing Co. On it. Any one know anything about this company? Idid a google search amd came up with nada.
[signature]