Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To buy a Optima battery or not????
I have a question. The Sams Club deep cycle battery two months old. I have now for my 55# trolling motor is only good for about five hours with the auto pilot on. Would I get more hours with an Optima battery?? What makes the Optima battery so much better. I usually have to quit fishing because I run out of power on the trolling motor. Any thoughts.
Thanks
Boatfisher[fishin]
[signature]
So with the little research Ive done and Ill be first one to admit im no expert when it comes to batteries. But when I was looking to power my trolling motor I looked at all the different brands, technologies & prices and Optima Batteries are a pretty great battery. My only drawback from purchasing a Optima is the price 227.00 at the time. After doing more research I found Optima Batteries are made by a Company called Johnson Control and even more research I found there only a hand full of Battery Manufactures then they get relabeled and sold as Brand X.

Any how long story short look for AGM Batteries that are made by Johnson Control in my Opinion any Good AGM or Gell Cell battery will last just as long the brand name Optima Battery and save you some $$$

Oh and I ended up going with a Cabelas AGM 27
[signature]
Thanks for the info. How long can you use your trolling motor. Mine is a 55# 12 volt. ps I will look at cabela's line. I want to be able to fish longer than four or five hrs.
[signature]
I get at least 6 but I dont use the motor all day also once I get home and put it on the charger the reader shows it 25 to 30% full. I guessing youll want to go with a size 30 for 7 to 8+ hours.

but my boats only a 17 footer with the same 55lb trolling motor.
[signature]
If you have room , just put in another battery like the one you have now . That will double your run time .
[signature]
Mine is a 16 foot alum. with a 50 horse outboard. Group 24 sounds pretty good. Thanks
[signature]
Group 24 is kinda small isn't it? I use a Wally World Acid battery #29 I know I can get at least 7 hours out of running it on 1 or 2. Plus it is $100. Motor is a Endura 45.

Doesn't your 50 have an external charger? Speaking of chargers, you will have to get a charger made for AGM's.

We have a 14' raft style and just planned on taking two batteries. But our 55 this year is a Maximizer so it get great time on batteries.
[signature]
Yes FG is right AGM & Gell Cell battery's require different charging then your normal Marine Battery. But the good thing is allot of chargers have AGM & Gell cell Battery options included.
[signature]
I will need to get a different charger. Now that's a problem. I was not aware of that. I have an onboard charger. that could be a problem
[signature]
I've owned Optimas. Never again. Way overpriced for what you get. Didn't outlast my Wal Mart batteries. Get the Group 29 if you want more run time. Group 24's don't have the amps. If that doesn't do it, you either need a bigger trolling motor, another battery, or both. I own 4 minn kotas, 7 deep cycle batteries, and charge or use them daily for 9-10 months a year. If you really need a lot more time, get a 24-volt motor, or at least another battery for your 12.
[signature]
I have had great service out of my Optima batteries however the most important thing no matter what the battery was installing a Cabelas charger on my boat. When I get home it is plugged in and keeps the batteries tight. Batteries only have so many cycles.
[signature]
I have 55# electric with Auto pilot as well and only get about 5 hours as well and that is with a bigger battery. Are you trolling with your electric motor or just moving along the shore casting? If you are trolling why don't you get a gas kicker?
[signature]
These guys are right about agm battery's needing a charger made for agm battery's. Although regular battery chargers will work they will shorten the life of the battery. So buy the right charger or don't expect the agm battery to last any longer than a normal battery.
[signature]
Man I am glad I posted this. You guys have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for all the information. And for sharing your knowledge with the forum
[signature]