Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All i caught was Grief!
Got off early - loaded up the wife and dog, headed to Deer Creek for some afternoon trollling - was greeted by a sign that says NO DOGS ALLOWED IN BOATS........got yelled at by the wife ....headed home ...cracked open a few cold ones.

just another lesson learned
[signature]
What!!!, when did the state start telling us that, "NO DOGS are ALLOWED IN BOATS"??? That is total BS. Did you talk to a park ranger about this? Is this a new rule/law at DC? Has anyone else seen a sign like that at other state parks? I think I would make a few phone calls to the state parks folks about this, how can this be legal[:|]!!!
[signature]
I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that sign - didnt want to risk going up to Jordanelle and have the same thing happen
[signature]
Dogs are only allowed in camp site. No where near the water. It has been that way for many years.
Same with Little Dell.
[signature]
Well I guess that just goes to show how long it's been since I've fished there, do you know why they have that rule at those two lakes but no other lakes in the state?
[signature]
Yep, it's true. Dumb but true. Deer Creek is a drinking water supply, and somebody doesn't want to drink dog pee. Of course it's just silly. Not like a whole lot of other animals don't pee in or near the reservoir all the time, and of course the water gets complete treatment before being used as potable water anyway. But they do strictly enforce that rule, and if a dog is near the lake, they'll "give you a talkin' to" or cite you. Ridiculous but true.
[signature]
anyone know if Jordanelle has the same rule?

cant get the wife on the boat without fido
[signature]
That's terrible. We agree, makes no sense! Why not have the sign just say no peeing in the water! We don't fish without our Annie! The one time we left her at home we were skunked! Lesson learned!

And we were looking forward to fishing at DC!
[signature]
[quote Blackellunge]anyone know if Jordanelle has the same rule?

cant get the wife on the boat without fido[/quote]

[#0000FF]As far as I know, Deer Creek is about the only state park lake with the no dogs in boat rules.

Here is a copy and paste from the info on Jordanelle.

[/#0000FF]DOGS: Dogs are allowed in certain areas. Dogs must be on a leash at all times, picked up after, and never left alone. Dogs are NOT allowed in the beach area below the cabanas or in or around the cabins.

Park Contact
Address:
S.R. 319 #515 Box 4
Heber City, UT 84032
Phone:
[ul][li]435-649-9540 - Hailstone Main Park Number[/li][li]435-782-3030 - Rock Cliff Nature Center[/li][li]801-322-3770 - Camping Reservations[/li][/ul]
Fax:
435-655-9058
Management:
[ul][li]Laurie Backus, Park Manager[/li][li]Dave Stobart, Assistant Manager[/li][/ul]
[signature]
That sounds more like a "We don't want dog poop on the beach for kids to step in" kind of a rule. It's a bit silly, but not wholly out of reason.

If the sign says "No Dogs in Boats" that's a bit harder for me to rationalize.
[signature]
Jordanell has no rule against dogs. Two lakes that are drinking water only. Yes, other animals will use these lakes, but dogs are domesticated.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Keewrecked.

All the parks seem to have some little eccentricities in their rule making...reflective of either a unique location or geographical features...or whatever.

I have always looked sideways at the Deer Creek ban on dogs in boats. If they are concerned about the dogs getting in the water and "befouling" it they are completely overlooking all of the other pollution potential. I guarantee that the hordes of swimmers, skiers and other folks in the water are not getting out of the water and trudging to the "facilities" for "downloading"...even for solid materials. And the deer and other wild critters in the area are equally careless about contaminating the water with their bodies or their wastes. Some are so inconsiderate as to die and rot in the lake.

Anytime you ask a question that begins with the word "why"...and it has to do with people...there is not likely to be a good answer.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
FYI.
They are also not allowed on the ice at DC.
[signature]
Well that is something I totally understand and support but in a boat[crazy], nope don't get it.
[signature]
Curt, I had my old Golden up at DC in 2006, and didn't see the sign at the ramp cuz we launched almost before is was full day light. She was on the boat with us all day, no "potty" breaks, and when we recovered that afternoon, she went over to the far edge of the ramp area and did her business, which I promptly picked up in a "doggy Doo Bag" Got back to the camp site we had reserved for 2 nites, and secured her to long lead that allowed her freedom in our site only. THEN, the campground host came up and told us we couldn't have her in the boat or near the water. What a load of CARP ! She was better behaved than some of the humans at that place. Never went back to DC.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
When I was a youngster (been a few years) I was fishing at Deer Creek with my parents. I took off my shoes and waded in the water for only a few minutes when a boat came by, with some type of official-looking sticker on the side, and ordered me out of the water. The guy said something like, "Don't you realize that Deer Creek is drinking water?". They have come a long ways since then, but apparently not to the point of allowing dogs on boats or near the water.
[signature]
Anywhere that's watershed doesnt' allow dogs.

Little Dell, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Lower Bells, the list goes on. Gotta admit...didn't think Deer Creek was a protected watershed.
[signature]
Have to wonder, would a dog even "release" while swimming? Any well trained dog of mine isn't going to defecate or urinate on the deck of MY boat!

Certainly the beach rules apply, as Rocky suggests (seen Marley?) should be a no-glass rule too at any self-respecting beach area. Though I don't hardly see that either.

Maybe if they added that dye to the lake that turns blue if you make a sissy? (Grownups) Of course most lakes are pretty tea stained, or pee stained already from all them darn trees dumping leaves and branches and crap! How dare they!

Maybe it's really because dogs on some boats bark too much, and that can be a nuisance!
[#008000][size 3]Kent, you mean a gas- and oil-belching outboard boat roared up and told you your feet were contaminating the drinking water? Did they ignore the water skiers? Huh, imagine that.[/size][/#008000]

(Green is the sarcasm font, folks,)
[signature]
I don't think they allowed water skiers back then. Hard to get those steam-engine driven boats up on plane anyway.[Wink]
That same boat would periodically put some chemical in the reservoir. We were told it was called blue vitriol and that it was to kill all of the moss. All I know is that whenever they put that chemical in the water that we couldn't buy a bite, even from the pesky perch, unless we moved up by Charleston, where the water was flowing into Deer Creek.
[signature]