Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new project
[cool][size 1]Hi there tubers,[/size]

[size 1]Lets have no drinking on-line until New Year's eve.[/size]

[size 1]Now for my project. Will be making a gadget to hold [/size][size 1]my transducer and will also hold two rods. I think a picture or a drawing is worth - what would you say 2 cents. [I know its a 1m words]. So now here it is and now you are free to tear it apart.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2110;]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Looks like a workable design to me. Slap it together, take it out on the water and see how it fishes. If it works, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Right? Ask the Right (Wright) Brothers.[/size]

[size 1]I am going to be putting together another version of the horizontal rack...also using the short angle connectors instead of the 90 degree ones. Definitely puts a different "slant" on it.[/size]
[signature]
[size 2]Hey there Dryrod, Your design looks practical, efficient and economical. I like the idea of the angles on the holder, especially well done to keep the butts of the rods dry.

However you probably see that it is limited to just two rods. That may be fine for your style of fishing and well respected.

Since I learned from TD himself, I personally find it hard to limit to just 2 rods. I do like to have a little more variety including the ability to flyswatt if the situation calls for it.

I know that as clever as you are, you may end up looking at some way to improve(as we all do) and you may later decide that you have the need for more rods to minimize rigging time while you are out on the tube.

All in all, the design is good and looks effective. That is clever how you put the transducer tube in the middle of it all. It appears that it will aid in the stability of the unit as a whole if properly secured.

Job well done.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hi TubeN2,[/size]

[size 1]Thanks for the complements. By the way I am set up to carry 4 rods. I have the same set up on the other side of my tube, except without the provision for a fish finder.[/size]
[signature]
[size 1][blush]Hi there TubeDude,[/size]

[size 1]I goofed by addressing a message to you on the other board. [/size][size 1]Tube Jr was kind enough to respond to my request and to my satisfaction. To even the score I am posting my question here just to stay out of hot water [Tongue] and to give you an opportunity to respond. By the way you trained Tube Jr well. I appreciate rapping with polite people. Thank you![/size]

[size 1]How far a distance below the bottom of your tube do you find that the transducer should be inorder to be the most effective? [/size]

[size 1][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2118;]
[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, my friend, appreciate the kind remarks on my progeny. Careful though, he might start believing it, and then we are all in trouble.[/size]

[size 1]I am assuming you have the "skimmer" transducer on your 168 EX. That seems to be standard. As far as I know, there is no minimum depth requirement...other than that it be kept submerged during operation. If it is run on a boat, and the mounting location is such that air turbulence swirls around the transducer, it will not read properly under speed. But, as soon as it is surrounded by an uninterrupted flow, it will send and receive signals okay.[/size]

[size 1]I have always set mine up so that I could raise and lower it. That helps prevent dinging the plastic transducer case on a rock during the launching and beaching processes. If you disconnect it and stow it before going back to the vehicle, it also helps prevent accidental dropping on the paved parking area. That doesn't hurt the craft, but it can crack the transducer.[/size]

[size 1]When I am operating the sonar, I find that it works fine when barely submerged. However, I generally push it down several inches below the surface and never have to worry about the readings.[/size]

[size 1]Between the two of us, I hope we put your troubled mind at ease.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Well I have been fooling around with my latest rude goldberg scenario. Although my contraption looks like it weighs a ton it is only 48ozs. 3 pounds is not that much for an Outcast FatCat. You might be wondering how I dismantle the unit. The lighter stock that is adjustable has a threaded union [which you cannot see in the pic.] which also reduces the slack between the difference in the stock. Okay - any suggestions before I glue the joints down for good??[/size]

[size 1]Nope - it is not copied righted at this time.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2132;]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Well...as I have observed previously, the design looks fundamentally sound. The big test will be in how it fishes. Will it be both handy and funtional...and will it keep your rods secure and not donate them to the drink?[/size]

[size 1]I can't offer any suggestions, other than put it together and give it a try. As the story goes, Thomas Edison tried over 1000 different experiments before he finally developed a working light bulb. Asked how it felt to fail so many times, he replied "I did not fail 1000 times. I just found 1000 ways it would not work, before finding one that did."[/size]

[size 1]I'm glad you have found a hobby to keep you off the streets.[/size]

[size 1]HAPPY NEW YEARS[/size]

[Image: babynewyear.gif]
[signature]
tee hee heee , T.E. did not envent a workable light bulb ! it was a worker of his that had the idea of combining wick material with a electrical filiment in a vacume tube without air for it to burn . it worked and he showed it to his boss .
he was imployed by edison so edison patented it under his own name .
such is the business world .
i got that info from the henry ford musieum in greenfield village , dearborn ,mi.
[signature]